Irregular tapping sound in one rad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have an 8' rad in one bedroom which has started to make a loud, irregular metallic tapping sound only when the pump is running. I have isolated the rad and it stops, and have held the rad against the wall mounts with no change. The tapping varies between twice a second to every couple of seconds and sounds a bit like a screwdriver being tapped inside the rad. It heats up OK and is hot top and bottom.

It's driving us nuts. Anything I can do short of replacing it?

Sponsored Links
If it has a thermostatic radiator valve remove the sensor head and see if that stops it

The rad has the original simple lockshield (?) valves but thanks for the suggestion. The pipes under the floor do clonk a bit as the system warms up but that stops once it’s hot. This noise is continuous from cold all through the day. Only closing the valves or stopping the pump stops the irregular tapping noise. Thinking back the start of this could possibly coincide with me doing some work under the floor in another bedroom. Could the underfloor pipe work moving or touching something across the landing be amplified by the rad in this room? It is quite loud!

Sponsored Links
Turned out to be s simple fix really...! I tried closing and opening both valves a few times and it has stopped. The noise sounded like it was coming from about 1/3 along the rad so not sure what it was and why it has stopped. In fact the whole system seems to be running quieter :) !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back