is £200 a good price for outdoor rendering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have a 8 feet high and 40 feet long wall which i'm having rendered the builder as asked me to get all the material, he says he's going to remove all the paint off the wall and apply the first layer of the render then apply pva then render again. I asked him if it would be better to apply the pva first then the render what do you guys recommend?

Is £200 a good price?

Sponsored Links
£200 :confused: bite his hand off!

I dont know a decent tradesman who would entertain doing a render job with that M2 for £200.

Sounds dodgy to me though....whats the pva for???

Are you sure hes a plasterer, £200 is way to cheap, he cant value his work much.
I wouldnt use pva outside, it reactivates when wet.
Use Febond SBR neat, or make a slurry,and it wants to go on prior to scratch coat.

I think you'll be hacking it all of again by August. Is he a Lithuanian?

Sponsored Links
Not a plasterer I'm afraid.

Edit - should clarify. He doesn't know what he is doing and that is reflected in the price.

Get 2 more quotes at least and take it from there.

Find out what he is going to remove al the paint with I would love to learn that trick.... ;) The only way to render a painted wall and be confident that the render will stay on is grind it into diamond patterns then sbr slurry coat first...

I've never used sbr slurry when rendering at all, ive always donw it the old fashioned way, either hacking it all off or grinding in a scratch.

£200 seems cheap but is it cheap for a reason?

I have a small rendering job when it stops raining, to do. Its about 25 sqm, in 2 patches. its brick and all the old render has fallen off. Ive charged £300. Ill go there one morning and scratch it. then hopefullly rub it up the next day.

£200 for 2 days work is ot brilliant, but if he is going to be getting the paint off etc...when he gets home that night he will "really" know he has earnt his money.

Where in London are you? i maybe able to send a "plasterer" to give you a quote.

It seems like quite a lot of work for very little money. it sounds like he doesn't know what he's doing. most builders wouldn't dig their cement mixers out of the van for £200. I would steer well clear if I was you.

I'm trying to make some sense of this -

8'x40' - say 30m2 .

I reckon £200 would cover the labour on the prep/slurry,not much left for rendering

would love to hear if there was antother quote or two.

Why is everyone mentioning slurry? The surface of the wall hasn't been established? it may be painted brick? painted render? painted block?

Adding slurry is just more expense in my eyes? The paint my be in a terrible condition, and be flaking off, and easy to get off. Then just scratch and render.

Can someone point out the reason for the slurry? im not up on new products...ive used slurry on walls below ground to STOP water getting in.

Is the slurry for making a key? instead of wiring it?

Why is everyone mentioning slurry? The surface of the wall hasn't been established? it may be painted brick? painted render? painted block?

Adding slurry is just more expense in my eyes? The paint my be in a terrible condition, and be flaking off, and easy to get off. Then just scratch and render.

Can someone point out the reason for the slurry? im not up on new products...ive used slurry on walls below ground to STOP water getting in.

Is the slurry for making a key? instead of wiring it?

Although SBR is quite expensive, approx £17 for 5ltr, its a really good bonding agent, weather used neat, diluted or as a slurry, it prevents cracking and aids water proofing.
We used it in a mix, casting a new cornice, with glass fibre strands, and was able to build the profile out quite a bit with no cracking.
On any suspect surfaces we use it.
We are currently re-rendering the front of a house, similar to the poster, the painted render is cracked everywhere, we hacked of the top coat which was like dust, but the scratch coat is sound.
So we will give it a coat of nearly neat sbr, followed by the float coat while still tacky, plus add a bit to the mix.

Didnt realise it prevented cracking. Maybe ill think about using it myself. So just leave it to go tacky like we do with pva?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back