Is 10psi too low for a combi boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’re having a WBosch combi boiler fitted to our 1930s semi, and the guy from Eon only measured the mains water pressure at 10 psi from the outside tap. Plumber here today says 10 psi is on the low side and it may need a mains pressure booster pump fitting to up the incoming pressure to the boiler, is this normal please?

Can anyone recommend a good mains booster pump to go under the sink by the stopcock?

Sponsored Links
Forgot to say Dan we live in a small village and it seems to be common knowledge that the water pressure is low locally

Sponsored Links
if some of the people in your village have pumps sucking water out of the pipes, what will happen to everyone else in the village?

Quart out of a pint pot.

That's why there are strict rules on these mains pumps.

If they caused a problem, the water company would be forced to rectify the situation. Although with 10psi at street level they're already in breach of their obligations anyway by the sounds of it.

Although with 10psi at street level they're already in breach of their obligations

The guaranteed standards scheme (GSS) sets out that water companies shall maintain a minimum pressure of water in the communication pipe serving the premises supplied with water of seven metres static head.

7 metres head ( of water ) = 9.95 psi

If it's an old house, how old is your mains stopcock? I recently replaced mine as it wasn't turning off the water completely, and discovered it was almost blocked with gunk. With a new stopcock, now getting almost double the pressure we had before. So much so I have to keep the new stopcock closed slightly as otherwise water gushes out the taps too fast and splashes everywhere.

If it's an old house, how old is your mains stopcock? I recently replaced mine as it wasn't turning off the water completely, and discovered it was almost blocked with gunk. With a new stopcock, now getting almost double the pressure we had before. So much so I have to keep the new stopcock closed slightly as otherwise water gushes out the taps too fast and splashes everywhere.

Thanks Chris, hadnt even thought of that, no idea how old the stopcock is to be fair, it may of been replaced about 17 years ago when the house was extended by previous owners, but they could od re-used the one that was there before the extension i guess? Is there any easy way of telling?

Thanks all, new boiler fitted and works a treat (still interested in the stopcock question above though)

Shower pressure is lower than it was (used to have shower pump under the bath), so guessing the only way of upping the shower pressure is with the booster pump as mentioned at the beginning?

I fitted a Salamander Homeboost before Christmas and it's made a massive difference (low water pressure on our street).

Well worth the money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back