Is a cavity tray with a concrete lintel a must?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have been posting about my building nightmare with our new door/window opening for a while.

However I might have discovered another potential problem. Last weekend my architect friend came to visit me and I showed her the house and also the windows. She agreed with me that the concrete lintels are ugly but then also pointed out that the builder should have added a cavity tray above the window and some weep holes.

I have neither. She said I could get some serious water damage. Now I am a little upset that the builder nor the building control who came over told me about this. What do I spend all the money for?

How serious is this problem and is there anything I can do to prevent the water damage before it happens? And is there anything we can do retrospectively without having to redo the whole thing?

Thanks for your help in advance.

20150810_184009-e1439229887167.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You could fix Drip Caps above all your window and door frames. Your frames should have been set back as far as practical for the doors, and 75mm for window frames. A large Drip Cap with a good projection could cover a multitude of sins.

Cavity trays are part of the Blg Regs requirements for frames. If inspected then BCO is at fault.

Removing all suspect and stained bricks and replacing with new (including the mortared patch to the left of the doors) would give a fresh start - it could be done in conjunction with installing cav trays and drip caps? Or a metal lintel for the outer skin - google pics.

FWIW: the grey bathroom waste is in danger of melting next to the boiler terminal - a shield could be fitted.

You appear to have a 15mm copper pipe - if its condensate its too small and uninsulated discharging into ...? And a waste and hoses from appliances discharging short of a gulley.

Hmmm thanks Ree. Drip caps do look like an intrusive way to direct the water from the window. I do not have to remove the windows to install the drip caps?

We had the window openings with the lintels created, and then the building reg guy came to sign it off and then we had a FENSA windowfitter fitted the window.

I have given up on the bricks. I have been trying to colour match them for ages - but have problems trying to get the right colour. Went to Hansons, Travis Perkins, even got some samples send via the internet. I was going to try to paint the lintels as a cheap measure. The bricks on the whole house really need repointing because the mortar is crumbling ....

The waste pipe needs to go. It's part of the boarded up loft which has a bathroom which we have not yet renovated. I am not sure why the builder did not connect it to the waste pipe of the toilet which its connected to the main waste pipe of the house. However I was going to leave it until I have the money to get the bathroom redone.

I had the wastepipe and the garden tab replumbed earlier in the year. (after the picture was taken)I just need to fill up the hole with some cement.

Sponsored Links
Drip Caps can be knocked up out of large size angle fillets - simply run a throating under, and pre-paint then fix to a backing/packing piece thats pinned to the lintel or just above it, and then flash over. This should blind cover much of the lintel and provide the necessary drip. Nothing needs to be done to the frames or anything else.

Dont "fill holes with cement". Let in a brick or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back