Small showroom window, no lintel above the window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just having a small showeroom refurbished. After stripping down the old wall tiles, my builder said it seems that the window has no lintel on the outer skin! The inner skin seems to be supported on a 'timber' support.

The window is upvc and is 50cm wide, and has a height of 90cm.

Can anyone shed some light on this please? Will I need to add a lintel over the cavity wall? The builder says it should be okay due to the small opening and the fact it hasn't moved all these years. Personally I don't like the idea of the risk.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
At that width, I'm inclined to agree with him, but is it worth removing the bricks to install a cavityl lintel, and then putting it all back in.

At worst, you'll get a crack in the mortar to warn you that it needs to be done, but that could be many years into the futures, and won't present a risk at any stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back