Is a chimney stack of one skin of bricks in a windy area ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having some council grantwork done - the roof (tiles) and the chimney.

I didnt really want the chimney stack done-there was a lovely old stone chimney there. But they wouldnt do the roof without doing the chimney stack (above roof level).

They took a day to remove the old stone chimney (it was so well built). Iv'e noticed the new chimney is only one skin (of bricks) thick. Well, I live half way up a mountain, the winds up here can be pretty strong. I wouldn't have thought a chimney one skin thick is strong enough. Okay, they are going to fill it with vermiculite, but this is for lining and not strength surely (and my neighbour says vermiculite turns to powder and needs replacing after 25 years !).

Can any one give me advice on this. What do the building regs say on this for example. Guidance urgently sought as they are coming to do the vermiculite in the next few days

Sponsored Links
The thickness of the chimney walls, will be governed by the width of the flue.

A chimney has inherent strength in its shape, so a single skin is not necessarily insufficient. But without the actual details of the construction its hard to comment.

BTW, did they check the new Planning Regulations relating to chimney alterations? :eek:

Either way its plain "wrong" to change a stone stack for a bland brick one.

Thanks for your comments Woody. Yep, I agree with you absolutely - its plain "wrong" to change a stone stack for a bland brick one. As a council policy its shocking.

The chimney stack in question is about 3 ft tall above roof level. The flue (s) itself (170 year old stone terrace house)is 4ft x 2ft at the bottom and narrows to 2 holes, each about 1ft square at roof level

BTW, what are the new Planning Regulations relating to chimney alterations you refer to

The majority of stacks are single skin thick above roof level. Its the height of the stack in relation to its width thats important. It should be no more than 4 1/2 times its width of the narrowest side.

Sponsored Links
I would be complaining most strongly about this & insisting that they return the chimney stack to the style that it was originally built in.

Planning and permitted development rights changed recently so that some work which was previously permitted development may now require a planning application, and vice-versa

I would be complaining most strongly about this & insisting that they return the chimney stack to the style that it was originally built in.

This work is being done by the council on a grant. I have to pay 25%. Apart from the roof they are putting in new UPVC door and windows. I told the council I want wooden doors and wooden sash windows and that i'm happy to pay the difference. I got a letter back from the council saying I can't do this, its UPVC or nothing.

Ive tried to find out more about where the grant comes from and the stipulations attached. It's just about impossible to get this information. All I've found is that recipients (a) have to pay in advance and (b) are 'invited' to take part in the grant scheme.

The village I live in was very nearly given conservation status 25 years ago. It was just because of a street of modern & ugly old peoples bungalows plus a few innapropriate extensions that this didnt happen. We are now being turned into a UPVC and pebble-dash paradise. Thanks EU, thanks Council.You are a disgrace, you are dis-figuring this nation.

A grant has an associated contract, either implicit or implied so there are guides and terms to follow.

You should have got the work clarified before work began, but if you were misled, then you have a valid complaint.

Ask whoever is running the scheme for details. And if you were misled/misinformed then complain to to someone senior

If this is council run, then don't be fobbed off by one of the lower managers - many of these schemes are run for the councils convenience and not the customers benefit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back