Is a durable paint worth the extra money?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to paint my whole house after an extension and refurb. I was going to buy Dulux Endurance paints as I have small children and a dog that likes to scratch the walls!

Is it good enough to 'endure' this, pardon the pun! Or do I simply buy the normal stuff and keep a spare tin to tidy up every now and again. This Endurance stuff is twice the price and I need alot of it so don't want to waste my money if it's not going to to the job.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In simple terms no it would not be worth the extra cost, the Endurance range is based on the Dulux Diamond range of paints.

These coatings are both very hard wearing and will withstand more than their worth of washing, but they are'nt dog proof.

Dec.

Thedec is right that they wont prevent claw marks but I recommend it to clients with small sticky handed kids.

It will withstand a light rub with webrax (the green stuff on the back of the washing up sponge). Ordinary emulsion would either wash off or end up becoming shinny.

Although it is matt is does have a very slightly higher sheen than standard matt.

Before Diamond Matt came out i used to apply two coats of Craig and Rose matt varnish over the emulsion in such houses. The problem was that any bits of fluff that ended up on the walls/in the varnish whilst coating were visible.

Waterbased eggshell is also very easy to clean but again not dog proof.

Oil based eggshell is even more durable but the smell will linger for ages and it will yellow in time.

The most durable finish that I have used is Zinsser BIN, it is shellac dissolved in alcohol. It stinks but the smell goes once the alcohol evaporates. It dries very, very fast so the after a couple of hours you will be smell free. Most trade stores can tint it to an approximation of the colour that you want. Main downside is that you cannot use ammonia based cleaning products.

Perhaps you need this for the dog

http://bichonhotel.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5.msg50.html

I have four children and two German Shepherds so have some experience cleaning painted walls! I used the diamond paint from Dulux in some rooms and just regular emulsion in others and have found that I can get away with much more cleaning on the Diamond painted walls than the others. I use the horrible sponges that are advertised as erasers, they feel horrible but seem to do the job. When I do come to repaint, I'm leaning towards using regular paint and touching up the really bad marks. Our dogs only live in the hall so I know just who's making the mess on the walls in all the other rooms and they might find themselves living in the garage!

Sponsored Links
Hi Becka

If you are happy that you can "scrub" the diamond matt why are you planning to go back to regular matt?

Sorry, don't quite understand.

Are you saying that the diamond matt is not scrubbable enough? BTW are you referring to the white rubbing blocks marketed by JML- have seen them but only used one once. re they worth the money.

Regards

Opps

Hi,
I can scrub or use the 'Erase Away' block (can't remember where I bought it) on both finishes and while the Diamond finish definitely takes more of a scrubbing, it does eventually end up with worn patches. With the amount of marks that my walls attract, I think touching up bad marks, especially if the dog is clawing the paint, might be a better and probably cheaper solution? I don't doubt that the Diamond finish is more durable but for some marks and scuffs, touching up with paint is the only solution. I find certain marks like where a cot has inadvertently rubbed against a wall or your husband leaves permanent markers in easy reach of a three year old really need repainting! I also have light coloured walls so everything shows up.
The sponge cleaners do seem to do a better job than say a cleaner and cloth. I slice off a bit, wet it and use it then throw it away. I do notice that if I'm cleaning around the switch plates or something similar, I end up cleaning a far larger area otherwise you get a sort of halo where you've cleaned! They also disintegrate very easily and can rub away more than you've bargained for! I sound like I live in a very dirty house but it's hygienically clean and safe!
I have actually considered paneling the lower parts of the high traffic area and painting it with eggshell because my skirting boards have proved to be very durable. Husband suggest getting rid of the dogs and children but I'm very fond of the dogs javascript:emoticon(':D')

IMO it's more cost effective to use good quality standard paint, and like you said keep a spare jar for touch ups. However durable they may say the paint is, its still paint at the end of the day!

Good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back