Is a hot tub governed by section 702?

From what I can see, compliance with section 702 does not result in non compliance with any other part of the regulations, so treating a hot tub as if it’s a small swimming pool seems to be the most sensible approach.

Sponsored Links
From what I can see, compliance with section 702 does not result in non compliance with any other part of the regulations, so treating a hot tub as if it’s a small swimming pool seems to be the most sensible approach.
Exactly. As I just wrote....
.... The suggestion that, because hot tubs are not explicitly mentioned as being within the scope of 702 means that the requirements of 702 do not apply is, I would have thought, the 'most dangerous' of the possible assumptions. In the absence of clarity in the regs, is not the (pragmatically) 'safe'/'conservative' approach to assume that 702 does apply to hot tubs, even though it does not say that explicitly?

Kind Regards, John

I would say that it is impossible for an electrician "to be clear" about that, given that the regulations themselves are not "clear" - so, as I've said, I think that, unsatisfactory though it is, one has to use one's own judgement (whether called 'common sense', 'the spirit of the regs' or whatever').

'Guidance' from sources other than the regs themselves (even if produced by the authors of the regs) does not really help to tell one what is intended by the (unclear) regulations.

The suggestion that, because hot tubs are not explicitly mentioned as being within the scope of 702 means that the requirements of 702 do not apply is, I would have thought, the 'most dangerous' of the possible assumptions. In the absence of clarity in the regs, is not the (pragmatically) 'safe'/'conservative' approach to assume that 702 does apply to hot tubs, even though it does not say that explicitly?

Kind Regards, John

The wording of section 702.11 is quite clear, it does not refer to hot tubs, and actually excludes them because the wording says "in particular" and then refers to swimming pools etc. Hence the need for the IET guidance. As said both paths lead to the same destination.

Blup

The wording of section 702.11 is quite clear, it does not refer to hot tubs, and actually excludes them because the wording says "in particular" and then refers to swimming pools etc.
It does say that, but such regulations can rarely be comprehensive, particularly in the absence of definitions. A quick search finds things described as "pools", "plunge pools", "family pools", "exercise pools" "Swim Spas" etc. - do you not believe that any of them qualify as "swimming pools"?

Nor do I think that "in particular" (or "particularly") necessarily implies a comprehensive/'exclusive' list. If I said that "I like eating meat, in particular beef", I don't think that would mean that types of meat other than beef were excluded from the list of meats I 'liked eating', would it?
Hence the need for the IET guidance.
No amount of guidance, even if it comes from one of the co-authors of the regulations, can alter what the regulations currently 'actually say'.

If they were asked and gave an answer, I can only think of two possibilities. Firstly, they could confirm that the regulations, as worded (and as literally interpreted by you) corresponded with their intention (even if I personally would find that hard to understand). Secondly, they could indicate that they had intended to (but hadn't) make the regulations applicable to any structure containing water intended for people to partially immersed themselves in. However, that admission of different 'intention' would not change what the regulations 'actually say' (hence what one has to do, or not, to comply with the regulations 'ass they are') - they could only alter the situation by amending the regulation.

I continue to not really understand what is the perceived problem. As RF and I have said, assuming that 702 applies to hot tubs would not result in non-compliance with any other regulations - so, particularly if (as I do) one believes that application of the regs to hot tubs corresponds with 'common sense', then why not just make that ('conservative', 'safer') assumption - rather than to take the ('less safe') view that the additional safety measures required by 702 do not apply to 'a pool' which happens to be called a 'hot tub'?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Just to throw another spanner into the conundrum. Although people don't class hot tubs as swimming pools, my granddaughter learnt to swim when she was 2 As she was a 10 week prem baby she was still very small for her age at that time so she would take 5 or 6 breast strokes to swim from one side of the hot tub to the other. In her eyes it was a swimming pool and she used to ask if she could go in the swimming pool.

Just to throw another spanner into the conundrum. Although people don't class hot tubs as swimming pools, my granddaughter learnt to swim when she was 2 As she was a 10 week prem baby she was still very small for her age at that time so she would take 5 or 6 breast strokes to swim from one side of the hot tub to the other. In her eyes it was a swimming pool and she used to ask if she could go in the swimming pool.
Quite so. As I keep saying, I think any attempt at distinction is not only futile but is also potentially detrimental in terms of safety. I personally feel that anything full of water that I can 'dip my foot into' should (if there is any electricity in the vicinity) be subject to the same safety requirements/standards as a massive structure that everyone would agree was a 'swimming pool'.

As for your granddaughter, when I was looking around for different types of 'pool', I came across a good few "dog swimming pools" (or just "dog pools"), and some of those were no bigger than (and probably not much different from) 'hot tubs'.

Kind Regards, John

NIC say not. Recent article in Connections mag.
NIC say lots of things!

Is it therefore perhaps their belief that a hot tub in which I can immerse myself in water does not require the same standards of electrical safety as something that we would all call a 'swimming pool'? Such a view would make little sense to me - as far as I am concerned, the combination of people submerged in water and electricity is equally potentially dangerous no matter what size the container or what it is called!

Kind Regards, John

I thought that IET made special guidance note 7 just for this kind of thing?

Bargain at £32

It does say that, but such regulations can rarely be comprehensive, particularly in the absence of definitions. A quick search finds things described as "pools", "plunge pools", "family pools", "exercise pools" "Swim Spas" etc. - do you not believe that any of them qualify as "swimming pools"?

Nor do I think that "in particular" (or "particularly") necessarily implies a comprehensive/'exclusive' list. If I said that "I like eating meat, in particular beef", I don't think that would mean that types of meat other than beef were excluded from the list of meats I 'liked eating', would it?
No amount of guidance, even if it comes from one of the co-authors of the regulations, can alter what the regulations currently 'actually say'.

If they were asked and gave an answer, I can only think of two possibilities. Firstly, they could confirm that the regulations, as worded (and as literally interpreted by you) corresponded with their intention (even if I personally would find that hard to understand). Secondly, they could indicate that they had intended to (but hadn't) make the regulations applicable to any structure containing water intended for people to partially immersed themselves in. However, that admission of different 'intention' would not change what the regulations 'actually say' (hence what one has to do, or not, to comply with the regulations 'ass they are') - they could only alter the situation by amending the regulation.

I continue to not really understand what is the perceived problem. As RF and I have said, assuming that 702 applies to hot tubs would not result in non-compliance with any other regulations - so, particularly if (as I do) one believes that application of the regs to hot tubs corresponds with 'common sense', then why not just make that ('conservative', 'safer') assumption - rather than to take the ('less safe') view that the additional safety measures required by 702 do not apply to 'a pool' which happens to be called a 'hot tub'?

Kind Regards, John

The term "particular" is clearly used to mean "specifically", and therefore excludes other types of basin or pool not mentioned. That is why the IET considered the need for clarification regarding hot tubs. Doubtless when the regulations are next reviewed they will be extended to include hot tubs.

Blup

You can almost guarantee when the 19th Edition comes along it will be under Special locations, especially if someone gets electrocuted while using one anytime soon!

I thought that IET made special guidance note 7 just for this kind of thing? ... Bargain at £32
As I've said, even though they are a co-author of BS7671, nothing the IET write in a 'guidance' document can change what actually is written in BS7671. If what they say in GN7 differs from what BS7671 says, then if they want things to be as stated in that guidance document, they would have to amend BS7671.

Kind Regards, John

Certainly when I did my most recent regs course, there was no reference made at all to any GN’s, OSG or electricians guides, all though I do think the earthing and bonding and the testing guidance notes should be compulsory reading as a minimum.

The term "particular" is clearly used to mean "specifically", and therefore excludes other types of basin or pool not mentioned.
That may be 'clear' to you, but it certainly isn't to me.

What about the example I quoted? Do you really think that "I like eating meat, in particular beef" mans that I don't like eating any meat other than beef?
That is why the IET considered the need for clarification regarding hot tubs. Doubtless when the regulations are next reviewed they will be extended to include hot tubs.
As I've said and implied repeatedly, I certainly hope so (but will not be holding my breath!) - and, given what I wrote before do you think they will also 'extend' the reg to include "plunge pools", "family pools", "exercise pools" etc. etc?

In the meantime, I personally continue to feel that it would be both ridiculous and irresponsible to believe that a hot tub should not be required to comply with the electrical safety regulations apply to a swimming pool, just because of the (imperfect) wording of the regulations!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back