Is a Housing association classed as a private landlord

Is a housing association classed as a private landlord.

• Yes

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No

Votes: 11 78.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Don't they work on behalf of councils?
It depends, a lot of RSL’s setup separate form the council and are independent from councils, who I work for is an example. It was back in circa 2005 when councils needed £x million to bring their housing stock up to a decent standard and could only be given under the value by central government.

I believe there are some that do new builds or maybe not. I looked at buying a flat built by one a long time ago.

I think now some just look after older houses for councils - sometimes badly.

There are all sorts of housing associations. Some seem more like public bodies and others more like private landlords. When they take over the social housing function from local authorities e.g. through Large Scale Voluntary Transfer (LSVT), I would say they are more on the public body side. It looks like a complicated question. I have found this barrister's opinion and have quoted a bit:

https://www.localgovernmentlawyer.c...35-are-housing-associations-public-or-private

The issue first came to the fore in 2002 when the Court of Appeal in Poplar Housing and Regeneration Community Association Ltd v Donoghue [2002] QB 48 considered what was a public authority and what was a public function for the purposes of section 6 of the Human Rights Act 1998. They held that housing associations were hybrid bodies – part public, part private - so lettings could in some cases be private acts. This was followed by Weaver v London & Quadrant Housing Trust [2009] EWCA Civ 235 which made it clear that not all housing associations are public authorities and not everything they do are public acts. The touchstone is the nature of the act and how close to the State it approaches. Thus, in Donoghue, the housing association was standing in the shoes of the local authority. In Weaver, L&Q accepted that they were susceptible to judicial review as a public body. Both L&Q and Poplar Housing are large entities with substantial resources. They have taken stock transfers from local authorities and thus inherited some of the roles of the local authority. They “feel” very public.

On the other hand, the Leonard Cheshire Foundation is not a public authority when running a residential care home, even though it accommodates people to whom the local authority owed a statutory duty: R (Heather) v Leonard Cheshire Foundation [2002] EWCA Civ 366. An almshouse run by a charity was (probably) not a public authority in Watts v Stewart [2016] EWCA Civ 1247; and Southward Housing Co-Operative Ltd, a fully mutual housing association, was held not to be a public authority in Walker ’s case [2015] EWHC 1615 (Ch).

There are all sorts of housing associations. Some seem more like public bodies and others more like private landlords. When they take over the social housing function from local authorities e.g. through Large Scale Voluntary Transfer (LSVT), I would say they are more on the public body side. It looks like a complicated question. I have found this barrister's opinion and have quoted a bit:

https://www.localgovernmentlawyer.c...35-are-housing-associations-public-or-private
I’d say that leans heavily towards No

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I believe there are some that do new builds or maybe not. I looked at buying a flat built by one a long time ago.

I think now some just look after older houses for councils - sometimes badly.
Yes, we do new build. (Not us directly, but housebuilders). I’m not entirely sure how it all works, but there’s also shared ownership which we have a stake in. I think it’s “affordable homes” which we don’t get involved in - or the other way, I can’t remember.

It’s clear what the answer is.
It's clear they are sometimes one or both. Some do social rent only are are in most senses public. Others do mid-market and market rental properties as well, not available to all, which are clearly means they are not public.

It's clear they are sometimes one or both. Some do social rent only are are in most senses public. Others do mid-market and market rental properties as well, not available to all, which are clearly means they are not public.

HA’s aren’t classed as a private landlord. The law has spoken, and has Google.

So to reiterate- Private landlords don’t make money on maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back