Is an extractor fan in cloakroom notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

First post on this excellent forum.

Just wondering whether installing an extractor fan in a cloakroom would be notifiable? I know it doesn't count as a special location, but if the extractor is wired into the existing lighting circuit via triple pole isolator, would it be considered a 'new circuit'?

I know a lot of manufacturers are saying there also needs to be a 3A FCU, does this have any bearing on whether it's considered a new circuit or not?

Can't seem to find a definitive answer to this...

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just wondering whether installing an extractor fan in a cloakroom would be notifiable?
No.

I know it doesn't count as a special location, but if the extractor is wired into the existing lighting circuit via triple pole isolator, would it be considered a 'new circuit'?
No.

I know a lot of manufacturers are saying there also needs to be a 3A FCU, does this have any bearing on whether it's considered a new circuit or not?
That has been debated. Some say no, so ...

That has been debated. Some say no, so ...
It's certainly been debated, but I don't think that anyone has actually said 'yes', at least not very strongly. Even under the old (pre-April) notification rules, adding 'fused spurs' (i.e. FCUs) to socket circuits was explicitly allowed without notification. I cannot believe that the recent relaxations in notification requirements intended that such work would now become notifiable, by virtue of creating a 'new circuit'. Extrapolating from that, I really don't believe that it's intended that an FCU connected to any existing circuit (of any sort) creates a 'new circuit' (that would then require notification).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Many thanks everyone.

Think I'll look for a fan that doesn't specify an FCU, just for a neater installation really. Will be looking for an inline centrifugal fan to mount in ceiling void. Joist orientation dictates a straight 14' run of ducting.

Any suggestions, before I go a'Googling?

Cheers all

Think I'll look for a fan that doesn't specify an FCU, just for a neater installation really.
Good luck, but it could be a bit of a struggle. Will you also be looking for one which does not specify a 3-pole isolator? If so, you might need even more good luck! Let us know what you find.

Kind Regards, John

Will you also be looking for one which does not specify a 3-pole isolator?

Kind Regards, John

No, I'll use an isolator, was just hoping not to have to install an FCU as well. It's not much of an issue either way really, just a bit neater without.

Cheers

Why not make the Dual pole isolator FCU your switch.

I want a timed fan. Would your suggestion not mean I either 1. Have to have the switched live unfused or 2. Have the lights inoperable when the FCU is switched off?

Cheers

OP said he was having a 3P isolator.
He did - he wrote:
I've resigned myself to wiring in an unswitched FCU and a triple pole isolator.
... but, in response to that, riveralt replied:
Why not make the Dual pole isolator FCU your switch.
...and, following the OPs comment that this would mean leaving either L or S/L unfused, you responded that it was alright for the S/L to be unfused (with which I agree).

I interpreted those exchanges as riveralt and yourself suggesting (or condoning) that the FCU could be used as the isolator. Have I misunderstood (riveralt and/or yourself)?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back