is an upstairs bedroom extension possible?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to extend the downstairs of my 1930's semi. I am also thinking of going straight up in order to extend both rear bedrooms by 5 feet approx with a flat roof above. Then I thought ' hang on a minute, the neighbour isn't going to like looking out of their bedroom and seeing a great wall projecting out 5 feet. Therefore is my idea doomed to failure before I start?

Sponsored Links
Check up your council's policies on rear extensions on their web site.
Doubt they would approve a flat roof.

I would assume there cannot be a problem with a flat roof, as millions of houses in my area have had loft conversions, all with flat roofs.

Surely, that would be a dormer (which is permitted development) and a dormer's a little different to what you're doing.

You seem to be doing something more like this:
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/extensions/miniguide

Note the guide talks about roof pitch as if it has to match the house, but it's not strictly necessary, only that it should match if possible,
so.. no, your idea isn't doomed to failure because as far as I can see you could build quite a significant part of the extension you seem to be suggesting, without even needing planning permission

Sponsored Links
@OP; You appear to be considering extending across the back of the house with a 2-storey extension.
You would need planning permission as your eaves will be above 3m in height. and presumably within 2m of the boundary. Planning would then usually ask for a pitched roof .
As has been pointed out, dormers are different and most can be done p.d. with a flat roof

Thanks very much, the words 'pitched roof where practically possible' in your enclosed document tell me why terraced house loft conversions have flat roofs at the back...........cos it ain't practically possible to have a pitched one!

That kills my idea stone dead as I haven't got the brains/ talent to sling a pitched roof above the upstairs room!

My original thought was the idea was not acheivable because my poor old neighbour would not want to look out of their rear bedroom window and see 5 feet of wall ruining their view at a 45 degree angle across the back gardens.

Once planning has been granted you have 3 years to start... But once you have started building there is no limit for you to complete the work. Why does this matter? Well, if you were building but didn't finish the pitched roof then you wouldn't be in breach of your permission... You'd simply be having ongoing building work... With a "temporary" flat roof.

Isn't a two storey extension of 3 m or less in depth permitted development?

Providing the eaves are no higher than the existing house?

Indeed those limits are due to be relaxed even further I heard.

Isn't a two storey extension of 3 m or less in depth permitted development?

Not if the eaves are within 2m of a boundary, and not if the extension is nearer than 7m to the rear boundary.

Some extension to the p.d. rues was made a few weeks ago, but it only applies to single-storey rear extensions.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back