Permission for an upstairs extension to increase bedroom sizes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The rear of my house has a downstairs extension and a 2 storey side extension that goes out 10 feet at the rear. I'd like to make the last remaining rear bedrooms larger by adding an extension over the downstairs one and adding onto the side of the existing upstairs rear one. The house is detached, will the council allow this?

Sponsored Links
Nobody here could answer that.

Providing the proposals meet and comply with Local Planning policies, advice and guidance then yes... they would be approved.

You’re going to have to be a little more specific if you’d like some advice here before you formally submit an application. Floor plans and photos would be a starting point.

Sponsored Links
Ahh.................I'll try, but just to clarify a few points from what I've just looked up.....

I thought a 3 metre upstairs extension is classed as permitted development therefore I don't need PP is this correct?

Sadly, I've just measured the downstairs extension n it goes out about 3.5 metres, so, if I want to sit the upstairs wall on top, the upstairs also has to go out 3.5 metres, this would therefore need PP, I think councils tend to frown on this n would be likely to refuse it ?

But I'm just a gormless old goofball of a lithographic printer n know virtually nothing about all this....................n you lads are all very clever rootin-tootin whizzkids, so I will just place myself entirely in your hands..................

You are correct in that a 3m deep two storey rear extension can be PD. However, the rules also state...

“Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than three metres or be within seven metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house.”

and...

“Where the extension comes within two metres of the boundary the height at the eaves cannot exceed three metres.”

As you have now confirmed the existing s/s rear extension is 3.5m deep, you could not add anything on top via PD and would therefore require formal Planning approval.

If you formally apply, the LPA will assess the extension against local policies and as we don’t know the layout of yours or the neighbours properties, we could not advise any further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back