permission for conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have a detached house.
15 years ago, I did a single side storey and double rear extension...
Rear of the house we extended 3.5 meters into the garden. This was all done with full planning permission...
Now I would like to have a conservatory rear of the house.
My research shows, I am allowed to have rear extension up to 8 meters from the end of the original house. So this leaves me 4.5 meters further into the garden for a conservatory.
Am I right?
I am unable to find-out how much of the rear of the house I can use as a conservatory, i.e. half, full width?
Any thoughts please?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
No, it's in the Permitted Development rules - the council has no say one way or the other.

Sponsored Links
Hello,
I am not following you.
If the council has no say in this, does this mean I can just go ahead and build a conservatory?
What does permitted development mean please?
Thank you

Google 'Permitted Development Rights for Householders' and follow the links - it's all in there.

Google 'Permitted Development Rights for Householders' and follow the links - it's all in there.
Hello,
Thank you for the link which I have now read...
It seems to me, to build a conservatory to the end of the old rear two story extention, I do not need to get permission from the council. Only need to consult the neighbours on each side of my detached house.
Am I right please?
Thank you

Unfortunately no. So far as planning law is concerned, the conservatory would be 'added' to the two-storey rear extension, and the whole (ie existing extension plus proposed conny) would - for planning purposes - be regarded as one extension, which would need planning permission.
The neighbour consultation scheme is not available for retrospective work and as part of the work already exists (ie the ground floor of the existing extension) the conny would need planning permission.

Unfortunately no. So far as planning law is concerned, the conservatory would be 'added' to the two-storey rear extension, and the whole (ie existing extension plus proposed conny) would - for planning purposes - be regarded as one extension, which would need planning permission.
The neighbour consultation scheme is not available for retrospective work and as part of the work already exists (ie the ground floor of the existing extension) the conny would need planning permission.
Hi,
Thank you for coming back to me...
So if planning permission is allowed, then this means I have to ask the council's planning department for this which I did.
They say I have already exhausted the allowed length and can not build a conservatory.
They say, Had I done only a single story rear extension then a conservatory would have been allowed but because I did a two story rear extension then a conservatory is not allowed.
1- Is this right what they are saying?
2- all the builders I asked, they say I should be allowed.

What do you think?

Thank you

The council are right, your builders clearly do not understand planning rules. You need to apply for planning permission if you want to do your conservatory.

The council is partly correct but also partly incorrect.

They are correct in that you need formal planning permission for the conservatory because it is attached to the two-storey extension (look at the notes and diagram on pp 20 and 21 of the Technical Guidance).

They are incorrect in stating that if you had only a pre-existing single-storey extension, you could have enlarged it to 8m out.
The rules specifically exclude the neighbour consultation scheme if the proposed extension is attached to an existing extension, the reason being that this scheme is not retrospective. As part of the total enlargment already exists, that would preclude it.

PS - just to add to FMTs post which came in just before mine - you don't ask builders for advice on planning matters:LOL:

Then again, if planners don't know the rules, and incorrectly interpret them in your favour, then why enlighten them (not that it helps here much)

The council is partly correct but also partly incorrect.

They are correct in that you need formal planning permission for the conservatory because it is attached to the two-storey extension (look at the notes and diagram on pp 20 and 21 of the Technical Guidance).

They are incorrect in stating that if you had only a pre-existing single-storey extension, you could have enlarged it to 8m out.
The rules specifically exclude the neighbour consultation scheme if the proposed extension is attached to an existing extension, the reason being that this scheme is not retrospective. As part of the total enlargment already exists, that would preclude it.

PS - just to add to FMTs post which came in just before mine - you don't ask builders for advice on planning matters:LOL:
I think I am now following what you are saying...
I did a pre-planning application for the conservatory. On the phone, the planning officer said I will not be allowed for a conservatory at rear because I have already exhausted my limits by building the previous rear extension.
But, I believe he is not correct based on this thread.
Any thoughts please?
Thank you

The planning officer may have meant that you have used up your permitted development rights for an extension on the rear.
In which case you would have to apply for planning permission for the conservatory in the usual way. There is normally no 'blanket limit' on development which councils apply - it all depends on individual circumstances.

There is a small chance that your councils' policy guidelines may restrict the length of rear extensions, but if you are a detached
house this would probably be unlikely as you would not have much amenity impact on adjoining properties.

You need to read up on your councils' policy guidelines on extensions - it will be on the councils' planning website.

The planning officer may have meant that you have used up your permitted development rights for an extension on the rear.
In which case you would have to apply for planning permission for the conservatory in the usual way. There is normally no 'blanket limit' on development which councils apply - it all depends on individual circumstances.

There is a small chance that your councils' policy guidelines may restrict the length of rear extensions, but if you are a detached
house this would probably be unlikely as you would not have much amenity impact on adjoining properties.

You need to read up on your councils' policy guidelines on extensions - it will be on the councils' planning website.
After doing a lot of research on the councils web site - Harrow, I find this paragraph in a document on their website:
single storey rear conservatory must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house by more than 4m if detached house

I guess this means I am not allowed to have a conservatory?

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back