First floor extension on 3 bed terraced home

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been racking my brains on this and suspect that it’s something that is well understood by the experts on this forum.

I have a 3 bed terraced home which has two bedrooms at the back of the house. Each one of them looks on to the rear garden. In addition to this, I have another bedroom and bathroom on the first floor.

If I build a 2 storey rear extension which adds 3 metres to the first floor, is there any way of making this into a 5 bed house or can I only extend the existing two bedrooms?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
It depends on your existing layout. Would all resulting Bedroom’s have windows? Is your two storey 3m deep extension based on what’s allowed under PD as there are other conditions to meet for that to be possible?

It depends on your existing layout. Would all resulting Bedroom’s have windows? Is your two storey 3m deep extension based on what’s allowed under PD as there are other conditions to meet for that to be possible?

I wasn't aware that Permitted Development extends to 2 storey. I was intending to go down the planning application route. I would like all bedrooms to have windows and assume that's the norm for a bedroom? Hadn't considered a windowless bedroom to be honest.
My house is approximately 7 metres wide.

3 across the back, 2 at the front and an internal bathroom. An outrigger at the back would be better.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but I don't follow the suggestion. I thought it would be helpful to share a quick sketch of my layout
upload_2021-5-11_9-27-52.png

Neither do I now - according to your sketch you seem to have grown a fourth bedroom since your initial post? If you just need one more you could do something like this:
IMG_20210511_103603715.jpg

Or if you're an end terrace and could have a side window:

16207261207123093391356232720593.jpg

You will struggle to add 2 bedrooms to that, as you will end up with some very narrow rooms.

7m across between 2 rooms is fine, between 3, just about acceptable, but 4 rooms would be very tight, and I'm not sure stealing any floor area from your front bedroom would help.

I'd say an extra bedroom would be possible, unless you convert your bathroom into a bedroom, and add a windowless bathroom where bedroom 2 is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back