Is balanced flue more energy efficient for outside boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got an outside boiler in a small brink enclosure. It has a short open flue. I've heard that if a balanced flue is used, the hot exhaust gas warms up the incoming air, acting like a heat exchanger, increasing boiler efficiency. Is this correct? If so, what is the maximum length that I could use for a balanced flue? (The existing flue is about 700mm long within the brick enclosure.)
Thanks, JD

Sponsored Links
I think that you may be confusing this with an air to air heat exchanger.

Make and model of boiler and i bet that within 10 minutes you will have the efficiency of your boiler.

Hi, I don't know the make of the boiler as it's running and it's wrapped in a heat jacket. But the burner is a relatively new Sterling (Electro Oil). The boiler is about 30-35 years old it seems.

Would an air-to-air heat exchanger be worth getting, or would a new boiler be the best bet?

I think we are on two different subjects at the moment.

The fact that a flue warms up air as it draws it in is the basic principle of an A2A unit. You already have a balanced flued appliance in situe.

What i was trying to get across is the fact that you may have the 2 basic principles crossed as a balanced flue does not work like that. All it is doing is drawing in intake air and expelling POC. This is not like a high efficiency unit.

Sponsored Links
Would an air-to-air heat exchanger be worth getting, or would a new boiler be the best bet?

In response to that, i couldn't honestly say.

But in the ethics of not trying to hijack a post i would be interested in other guys views with regards to "renewable" energy as i have yet to get stuck into properly as yet.

Thanks for the replies. I don't have a balanced flue or A2A at present. I'm wondering if it is worth getting something that is more energy efficient. I'l try other areas for energy efficiency as you suggest.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back