Balanced Flue Gas fire into Precast flue.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we had a new sandstone fire surround and gas fire installed. At the time of purchase I showed the sales person a photograph of our empty fire opening showing only the start of the existing pre-cast flue (called the chair brick?). This flue is located in a gable end cavity wall.

We asked about abandoning the pre-cast flue and going for a balanced flue gas fire, not only for the increased heat output efficiency but also to get away from what is inherently a less than efficient flue system. We understood that once done there would be no going back. No problem was the answer. The base of the flue would be removed to get access to the outside wall and a lintel would be provided in its place.
The installation went ahead but the installer insisted there was no need to provide a lintel as every above was stitched in to the brickwork. At the time I accepted this but have always had a nagging doubt.

As a problem has arisen with the fire and I am therefore back in contact with the supplier I'd like to get this issue sorted once and for all, simply for peace of mind, but I have no idea whether what I have been told is true or not.
Any comments please.

Sponsored Links
What type of flue did he install? If it was a round flue pipe and he used a core drill then I can see no problem and lintel would not be required. Most boiler flues are cored with no problem.A bit more info about the fault would help.

If the fire was installed by a qualified installer who filled out the commissioning report on the benchmarksheet, all should be well.
What does it say on the commissioning report?

Fire has a balanced flue - round pipe through outer wall. Hole was chiselled rather than core drilled - this is given as an option in the installation guide.

The fault on the fire (thermocouple faulty) has no bearing on my query. It's because of this fault that I've contacted the supplier again to get it repaired under warranty. Whilst I'm back in contact that I'm minded to again query whether or not the remaining old flue is safe without a lintel. Just want my mind put at rest that what I was originally told by the installer (i.e. that because it is tied into the brickwork, a lintel is not required). If not I want to be armed with some expert opinion, hopefully from you guys.

Never had sight of a commissioning report. The supplier did say that the installer would have sent some sort of report to Gas Safe but I have no confirmation of that.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need to call GSR and ask them to send an inspector out asap.

Why is that then ben.
OP the existing precast flue will be tied into the wall for its entire lenghth and i very much doubt the guy took out the starter block which is far different from a chairbrick he will have just chopped through it there will be no need for a lintel so put your mind at rest.

Yes you should have recieved a letter from gas safe to say it had been instaled but that doesnt mean the guy didnt actually report it things going missing or get forgotten about , its not a crime

OP the existing precast flue will be tied into the wall for its entire lenghth and i very much doubt the guy took out the starter block which is far different from a chairbrick he will have just chopped through it there will be no need for a lintel so put your mind at rest.

If it is an inset BF fire, he probably did.

The openiong width is probably 16", so if there are no windows etc immediately above, I am sure it won't be a problem.

OP, can IO suggest you re-post this on the builders forum, as it really is a construction issue?

Point taken expert but how would there be windows above it,, Its a precast flue

Thanks for the replies so far gents. If I'm reading correctly there seems to be a bit of conflicting opinion.

Just to clarify things a little more I've posted a picture of my fireplace prior to any of this work commencing (see my profile for picture).
To fit the new (balanced flue) fire, all the bottom of the pre-cast flue that you can see in the opening was removed to create the cavity required for the new fire. Once removed the opening went right back to the outer wall brickwork.
To repeat, my concern has always been that the remainder of the old pre-cast flue above this could be unstable unless of course it is as the installer claimed and all tied in to the surrounding brickwork.
Hopefully I can get a definitive answer on this.

btw
The old flue comes out of the wall in the loft on a terminating block and continues to a ridge tile flue outlet via metal flue.
Another question:
I'm about to recover the metal flue and have the ridge tile replaced with a standard one. The installer sealed the new fireplace to the wall cavity left and right of the new fireplace but left the old pre-cast flue above the fire open. Should I be capping the terminating block in the loft or fitting a vent to allow air circulation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back