Balanced flue gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a balanced flue gas fire fitted. When it rains, water is collecting in the flue outlet pipe. There is a possibilty that, with a very heavy downpour, water may run back into the fire.

I understand that the flue should have been fitted angled slightly down to avoid this.

At this stage, apart from ripping it all back out, can anything be done to avoid water getting into the fire itself?

Sponsored Links
Call the fitter back and if he doesn't come report him to GasSafe.

Sponsored Links
And who says it should be fitted slightly downwards???/??/
Flue angle is determined by how it is fixed onto the back of the appliance and just about every balanced flue fire flue comes off at right angle ie level and if someone fitted it angling down when its not meant to be this will put strain on the seals to back of appliance.

What fire is it?

It's a Robinson Willey Firecharm RS and their technical department advised that the flue should be angled down 1 or 2 degrees to prevent rainwater running back into the fire.

You should have been left the manufacturers instructions... Have a look in there and it wont mention 1 or 2degre incline. strange if they recomend it on tech help line

I do have the installation instructions and you're quite right, no mention is made of any downward inclination.

I suppose I could drill a small drain hole one or two inches back from the end of the flue outlet to avoid any water running back or would that be against regulations?

Exactly yet another case of tech helplines just agreeing with a customer...
But then you say drill a hole, the flue should be flush with the wall how much sticks out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back