Is central heating actually that good? Anyone remember before we had it?

I remember having to dig the drifted snow away from the front door, just to be able to get in and out. Half an inch now, and there is panic.
I can barely remember the last time snow even piled up like that. Global warming must be true..

Sponsored Links
I'm still quite busy, seeing how much gas I can avoid using, by avoiding the use of the CH. I don't have an actual need to, I'm mainly just curious to see what I can avoid using....

I'm presently working on a night setting of 14C, day of 16C - which seems to only cause the heating to operate once per day, first thing on a morning. I'm supplementing that, with the living room radiant gas fire set on it's minimum, with the hall door closed, just on an evening.

What I find is, as before with the day setting at 18C, providing I have been warm in bed - I always am, then on rising I can remain warm and comfortable for many hours. Likewise, if I take a hot bath, I can remain feeling warm after it for many hours.

I also notice that even though the house temperature is 16C, if the CH has recently fired and the radiators warm - the air feels much warmer.

Sponsored Links
Main problem with old heating systems was it would draw the combustion air from within the room, so caused drafts, in the main the reason for high backed chairs.

Early central heating would run in the morning to warm house before fires were lit, and only control was a timer and the lock shield valves.

The advant of condensating boilers changed the system, the TRV became king for control, however many still installed systems using the old rule of thumb, and did not install a TRV in the room with wall thermostat.

HI've has a maxium of 22°C for the demand for heat system to work, so a TRV set so room with wall thermostat in room with it does not exceed the limit will help.

Or simple, natural climate change.
Climate change caused by 8 billion people burning stuff isn't "natural"

earth_temperature_timeline.png

The climate has always changed. No change is not natural.
But it is now widely accepted human activity is responsible for the accelerated changes in climate we have now. A report by German scientists predicts the tipping point is two years from now when the best case scenario of a 1.5 degree rise in temperatures will increase to 2.5 degrees if no further measures are taken to limit carbon emissions.

And i have bitter memories of winters in the 60s and 70s when a coal fire had to be coaxed into life before an semblance of feeling came back to my toes. Ice on the inside of windows didn't provide any incentive to burrow out of a mound of blankets and put on cold jeans...:eek: but when the fire was bright and warm there was nothing better than toasting bread in front of it and slathering it in beef dripping.
And my gran's winter soup will never be bettered.
Mind you, there was nothing worse than a football in the 'nads on a cold day and some sadistic putz telling you to 'run it off, lad'.
Happy daze.:p

Mind you, there was nothing worse than a football in the 'nads on a cold day and some sadistic putz telling you to 'run it off, lad'.
Happy daze.:p

Followed by a freezing cold, enforced shower afterwards - not that there was any shorage of hot water. Been there, done that.

Followed by a freezing cold, enforced shower afterwards - not that there was any shorage of hot water. Been there, done that.
When i played for our local team the trainer was old 'old school'. He grew up watching Dixie Dean and Stan Matthews. And everyone dreaded the bucket n' sponge. Playing in goal risked life n' limb, so i was glad to run around in midfield, mostly to keep warm and stay away from the maniacs!
Even extra socks didn't take much of the agony out of kicking a casey about. I'm so nesh.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back