Is change of use required for on a commercial property?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're taking over an existing dental practice where the landlord is a bank. There are few spare rooms on the first floor, which maybe a few years down the line we might want to use one room for podiatry services or possibly for an audiologist and another room for beauty aesthetics.

All such class of use is now class E compared to the old D1.

Would permission be needed from the local council to offer the additional services to our patients even though Class E would cover the additional activities? Also the existing lease stipulates dental services use. If we technically offered the other services (which would not require any structural changes to the building only internal cosmetic change, does the landlord really need to be informed and permission sought, as well as the same from the council?

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the landlord/planning department instead of strangers on an internet forum? If I said permission was not needed and you got pulled up on it or even ended up in court, 'Mottie on DIYNOT.com said it was ok' would not be a valid defence!

Generally you can change within a Use Class without permission but not to different Use Classes.

Check the lease for what use is permitted by the lease and what Landlord permissions are required.

Sponsored Links
Why not ask the landlord/planning department instead of strangers on an internet forum? If I said permission was not needed and you got pulled up on it or even ended up in court, 'Mottie on DIYNOT.com said it was ok' would not be a valid defence!
When I’m ready to speak to the council, I will. This is called research, feel free not reply with your helpful comments. Have a nice day.

Generally you can change within a Use Class without permission but not to different Use Classes.

Check the lease for what use is permitted by the lease and what Landlord permissions are required.
Thx Woody.

Generally speaking, if the dental surgery was once D1 and then automatically became an E category and if the existing use specifically mentioned dental then if the additional services to be offered would ordinarily fall under E, then is informing the council still necessary if we are not changing class?

When I’m ready to speak to the council, I will. This is called research, feel free not reply with your helpful comments. Have a nice day.
Well you’re a bit late with your ‘research’ if you are already committed! I will of course feel free not to reply to you in future if that’s the thanks I get from you. You have a nice day too.

I’m Not committed to anything. Do you have a habit of providing zero value to a conversation?

We're taking over
I’m Not committed to anything.
So are you 'taking over' or not - your first post implies that you are? If you are not committed, you would have said we are 'thinking' or 'considering' taking over, not 'we are' taking over.

Did you get upset or disagree with my correct answer when nobody else was bothering to answer you? You must be a sensitive soul if you did. Try Mumsnet or facebook if its 'support' that you are looking for.

Last edited:
Banking services and medical/health services now fall under the same use class - class E. Therefore the change you propose would not require a change of use. You should however check with planning to make sure it is class E on their records. It's not unknown for them to have something different that never got changed over in the past. If there are any grey areas it might be wise to apply for a certificate of lawfulness.

Last edited:
So are you 'taking over' or not - your first post implies that you are? If you are not committed, you would have said we are 'thinking' or 'considering' taking over, not 'we are' taking over.
Did you get upset or disagree with my correct answer when nobody else was bothering to answer you? You must be a sensitive soul if you did. Try Mumsnet or facebook if its 'support' that you are looking for.
You really are a plonker. Again zero value.

We’re legally committed when we exchange contracts (a few weeks away) and then complete a month later, like during a conveyancing process. So yes we are “buying” for a better word. You want to get caught up on legal technicalities and literal interpretations then do it elsewhere.

Again - you’ve provided zero value. Were you the little boy in class that used to get a good kicking but nobody would know why, and you’ve come back to haunt others due to the chip on your shoulder? You literally woke up to first respond at the message to ask me why I’m bothering asking a question on a discussion forum and not the council.

So yes we are “buying” for a better word.
Felt sorry for you when nobody replied and you had to ask again. Never mind, I won’t do that again.

Right. So not actually 'taking over' yet then? At least you’ve learned something from me - give the full and correct information when seeking advice. Glad to have helped.

Care to tell me how my advice is any different from Woody or Jeds - I see you didn’t disagree with theirs?

So, what are you actually going to do? Blindly go ahead, pull out of the sale or consult the planning department and landlord as I suggested at the very start of this post?

Man, why are you even responding with so many nosy and unrelated questions as to why I’m doing this or doing that. You don't know anything what I’m doing and questioning like a troll.

Your attitude sucked and rather patronising as to why I asked a forum question which is what this is for you told me to goto the council. You think I don’t already know that?

Woody and Jeds have kindly provided commentary without the condescending tone.

If you had a problem with your car and came to car / mechanic discussion forum and described a situation and someone told you to goto a garage to get your solution, you’d be a bit cheesed off as why the other person replied.

You’re wasting your time responding any further, move on.

Since when has a common sense answer been condescending? If you think my post #3 was condescending, you must live a very tormented and troubled life. Goodbye.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back