Change of Use Class Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a PJ I am doing, its an extension to the rear of a shop (which used to be a bank), which is currently class A2 (financial services). If, within the planning application for the rear extension we applied for a change of use to say D1 (possible dentist tenant in the frame) and lets assume that the application was successful, is the usage class for the shop then D1 or does it stay as A2 until a dentist moves in and begins trading?

I am aware of certain PD rights with respect to usage changes but on this matter I am unclear. http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/changeofuse

Sponsored Links
Hi, the existing lawful use - whatever that is - will remain until the planning permission for D1 Use (assuming you get permission) is begun in accordance with S56(1) of T&CPA (1990).

Be careful though - the way you frame your application might affect what can be done in the "front" section of the building. Will you be sub-dividing the building to create 2 separate planning units or is the building to stay as one unit but with a mixed use?

If the whole shop is changing to D1, then the Use Class part of the permission is enacted once the shop begins to be used as a dentist.

If the shop is being spilt, then the D1 Use Class is enacted as soon as building work starts on the extension.

Sponsored Links
According to a planning consultant ex-colleague I have just spoken with I can apply for flexible usage ie more than one usage class within the same application and (assuming they were all approved) they will all be current including its current usage class.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back