Is Darts the best sport ever?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been watching the Darts championship over the last week and i can't help but feel that this is what sport should be like.

On Saturday Daryll Fitton faced Tony O'Shea in the first semi-final. These two guys are best mates and Daryll was Tony's best man at his wedding. In other sports you'd get the polite handshake and 'best of luck' between the two before the game, but these two stepped up to the oche and did an obviously pre-rehearsed dance/jostle in front of the crowd. I think this is excellent sportsmanship and a reminder that sport is essentially something for the sportsmen to enjoy and for the audience to be entertained by. So many professional sports these days are more about business and money than the game itself.

And then came the interval. In other sports you'd see the players/teams retreat to their dressing rooms to focus on the rest of the game/match and to refresh themselves. The darts players head to what is a glorified social club for a chat and a beer. Pure brilliance!

And then the final yesterday, the last few sets were brilliant, one player trying to get over the line, the other fighting back time after time. And afterwards - they go back to the social club and have a laugh and a joke together. I'm glad i'd taken time off the loft conversion yesterday to watch it!!

Would love to know if anyone else watched it and what people's thoughts are on it?

Sponsored Links
its good kid real good, but remember as long as there is football it will always be 2nd :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I've always wondered if darts players had ever thrown a match?

Good to watch for a few mins , but a sport, hmmm, no not really ;)
PS I have played it but I was carp

some sports critics/commentators would argue whether darts is a sport at all.

it can be very entertaining though.

visual entertainment aside, there are few parents that would encourage their children to follow in the footsteps of these sweaty, overweight, tattooed 'athletes'.

darts will always struggle to attract the right sponsors simply because of the image of the game.

I cant call it a sport, its entertainment, but not entertaining to me, but the ballet isnt either.

Sponsored Links
Back