Is distortion in glass in newly fitted French windows normal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hi everybody. I have a problem with glass distortion in some French windows that have just been installed and I wonder if anyone else has had this problem or whether they are aware of this type of problem happening.

I have UPVC windows in the rest of my property which are perfect, the glass is clear and the image undistorted. They are probably 15+ years old.

The new glass in the French windows has obvious distortion when you look through it. Its not as bad as a hall of mirrors, as such, but there is obvious and noticeable distortion which makes me feel queasy when I look through them.

I took this up with the installation company and I have had two differing reports:

1) That the glass is heat treated and during this it can cause distortion. Its natural and that's just how it is.

2) That there is a film painted onto the glass to conform to energy efficiency standards. It could be that the film has been coated unevenly.

Kindly, the supplier has agreed to re-do the windows but there is no guarantee that they won't suffer the same problem. I am being told that this is how glass is manufactured to meet current regulations and that it is required this way otherwise a FENSA certificate can't be issued.

But, I haven't be round to anyone else's house and ever noticed this affecting their windows before. I am worried that I am being spun a yarn.

I would be most grateful if someone could comment or advise as being in a position of little knowledge I don't know where to turn.

I have uploaded a couple of pictures. One shows distortion in the bush below the house roof opposite and if I move the camera down a little you can then see the straight line of the roof distorted, by way of a small example.

Thank you.

Rob
//media.diynot.com/191000_190056_47814_99846435_thumb.jpg
//media.diynot.com/191000_190056_47816_52973823_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well, you can certainly get some distortion introduced when glass is toughened but it shouldn't be that bad

Can't see the coating being an issue - I thought they used vacuum deposition to do the coating which leaves a coating thickness measurable in microns rather tha millimetres

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back