is dry grouting possible??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.

Ok, i have finally laid all my slate natural stone tiles (25mm thick) down and it is time for grouting. The thought of grouting with a wet mix in the normal way really doesn't appeal to me at the moment. Can I prepare a semi dry or dry mix of sand and cement with a flexible additive. This then be brush over the tiles into all the joints and then finished off with a spray of water to set it and use a grout finisher to finish it.

Help please.

Sponsored Links
get a shed load of masking tape (self explanatory), a spatula for inch by inch grouting...and knee pads

:)

cuttertree said:
Hello everyone.

Ok, i have finally laid all my slate natural stone tiles (25mm thick) down and it is time for grouting. The thought of grouting with a wet mix in the normal way really doesn't appeal to me at the moment. Can I prepare a semi dry or dry mix of sand and cement with a flexible additive. This then be brush over the tiles into all the joints and then finished off with a spray of water to set it and use a grout finisher to finish it.

Help please.
I wouldn't. Why don't you just grout like normal people do - it's not difficult.

the area of floor to be grouted is quite large, no actually bloody large. Just wondered if there was an alternative method that would be nice and quick.

Sponsored Links
For heavily riven natural stone I tend to use more of a pointing method rather than spreading with a grout float.

Mix up the grout as normal then use a bucket trowel of pointing trowel to fill the gaps working the grout well in with the edge of the trowel, then strike off level. Does not take too long with wide joint grout.

And make sure you seal the slate before grouting.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back