is electric underfloor & woodburber back boiler enough h

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am in a remote forest using oil (via a range) and want to come away from it (keeps getting stolen!). Im having a whole house renovation so good time to consider options. Considering downstairs electric underfloor heating & a wood burner (free wood being in a forest) with a backboiler feeding 5 radiators. What do you think? Im thinking put the underfloor heating on in early am (cheap electric) so its warm when you get up and then in the evenings you have the fire, BUT what about water?

Does the backboiler heat the water too? or do I need a solar water heater.

Is my thinking flawed? is there a better option in missing - looked at LPG but too many trees they said

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Electric underfloor heating is useless at heating an actual room. Have a look at ground source heating. It's brilliant.

Stick with oil and make if more difficult for them to steal.

Add a wood back boiler if you like.
But you will be kept very busy trying to keep the house warm
with wood. It will take sacks and sacks all the time to heat a house.
Plus the back boiler won't have enough kW to do it.

Sponsored Links
Your thinking is far from flawed.
Radiators upstairs heated from the stove is a good option. So you don't need a large boiler stove.
Its also means you can have a part of the house heated and all your hot water requirements with no electricity being needed.

Its gets a little more complicated when you want to use the same radiators as the oil boiler.
Which is why I fitted a separate set of radiators to upstairs only.
And yes it heats the water cylinder. Again very simple when its a vented gravity system.

My stove is rated about 6kw to water and the 3 rads are slightly larger but it copes with them no problems.
My oil boiler has been off all winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back