Is felt needed under a slate roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I am new this this forum.
We are buying an old house which has a slate roof with no felt. I understand from reading on other sites that houses were built like this back in the day, but we are buying this house to do up and sell on and wanted to know if we do it all up and if buyers have surveys done would this come up regarding the absence of felt and cause problems?. We didn't have a survey as we knew it needed everything inside doing just wasn't sure regarding the roof. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Many thanks

Sponsored Links
You may get more replies if you re-post in the ROOFING AND GUTTERING section of the forum. FYI - the forum is sub-divided into appropriate categories for which each has a short description on the main page. You may get answers here but your best bet is to re-post

Sponsored Links
Many thanks. So it wouldn't cause a problem on a survey, only if it was leaking etc?

A survey would probably just say "roof in original condition, possibly end of life" or whatever. Re-roofing will cost you thousands of £££ but add nothing to the house value. There is no shortage of buyers out there who don't give a monkey's about 'surveys'. Sell to one of them.

Last edited:
Apologies OP - seems I was wrong.

Things have evidently changed in the months I've been away from this site.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back