Is Fitting Tado Going to be Straight Forward in this House?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, just moved house and brought my Tado system with me and will look to get it installed in the next few days or so.

I installed it myself at the old house using their very good and detailed instructions that they provide.

That house was a combi though and this house is conventional and seems to have its own plant room in comparison!

Should it still be pretty straight forward and its just the look of all the boxes and pipes thats daunting?

I believe it will just be a case of replacing the digital Salus receiver with Tado and then disabling the thermostat box.

1000004323.jpg
1000004324.jpg

Sponsored Links
There are quite a few variants of Tado. Some have hot water control included. They are used when there is a stored hot water cylinder heated from the boiler. Other versions of Tado don't have hot water control generally used with combi boilers.

Examples of Tado with hot water control are:

Tado.jpg

123.jpg

If you have a different version of Tado to those above, post back its details.

Assuming your Tado is a version with hot water control built in, then it would replace the wired Salus EP 200 Programmer that also has both HW and CH control.

Prog.jpg

Then the Salus Room Thermostat receiver should be removed. However, the switching wires in its terminals NO and COM need to be joined together. It can be done by replacing the Salus receiver with a junction box, isolating L and N and then joining the wires from NO and COM together. Or the cable to the Salus can be removed and the link made at the other end of the wire

Salus.jpg

This assumes that the system presently only has the one Salus room thermostat installed that controls the entire central heating system. Whilst it looks like that from the details of the controls you have provided, the plumbing suggests that there might be more to it. For example there are 3 motorised valves visible, instead of the usual two (HW & CH) There is also UFH which usually has separate control from the radiators.

It needs some thought, as to what your aim is? You could assuming your tado is a single channel programmable thermostat leave the Salus in place to do the DHW and just move the CH to the tado.

So first DHW, can't really see the point of a timer, the tank thermostat yes, but a 40 gallon tank does not heat up or cool down fast, mine will stay hot for two days, so yes switch to turn off when on holiday but can't see point in timer.

The central heating, we have debated many times, is the money, time and effort spent to control the CH better worth it? I think likely yes, we pay around £1000 a year for oil, so to reduce how much we use is a good thing. But to what point, I looked at Wiser £230 for a three channel thermostat, then £46 each for the TRV heads, I need 14 in all, so £874 to fit all Wiser controls.

So want to reduce that, single channel down to £69 and one head for wife's bedroom so total £111 that's more like it.

So you need to look at what you want, and what you need, and arrive at a balance. The buzz word is recovery time. If you allow a room to cool to say 16ºC how long will it take to heat back to 20ºC? My bedroom not too bad, around 1.5 hours, the living room more like 5 hours, so living room we start heating at 8 am, and by time we need it warm enough. Bedroom not heated until 10 pm and it will stay warm enough all night.

So what is your life stile? Without knowing I would suggest if wireless to fit in parallel with existing, so two rooms monitored, since you already have it, you can turn the Salus down if you don't want it to fire up, but you loose nothing and you may gain.

And it should be easy to do.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back