Installing Tado

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking at getting Tado installed. We have a three story house with two zones:

Zone 1: Ground Floor, First Floor.
Zone 2: Second Floor.

We currently have the following installed:
#1 - Kitchen - Programmer - Zone 1 - Danfoss TP9000
#2 - Hallway - Thermostat - Zone 1 - Danfoss TS2
#3 - Master Bedroom - Programmer/Thermostat - Zone 2 - Danfoss TP5000 Si (Battery Powered)​

#1 controls the Heating & Hot Water. #3 controls the Heating only.

Below are the wiring for each:

I have the actual wiring diagrams for the TP9000 as below:
lxzKeg5.jpg

VZ98xOF.jpg

I've managed to find the wiring required for the Tado Extension Box which is what we'll need to replace the TP9000 with: (Taken from a video, I can't find their wiring / installation guides online)
Pim4okF.jpg

Some questions I have if someone would be so kind:
  • The Tado Switched Live looks to be the wiring we have now. Looking at Tado, this should be a straight cable swap? N to N, L to L, 3 to 3 and 4 to 4. 1 and 2 are empty.
  • 5 and 6 on the TP9000 are for the remote thermostat (TS2) so wouldn't be required?
  • The "looping terminals" on the TP9000 have 2 wires going into each. I'm unsure as to what these are and what we'll do with them with the Tado?
  • I'm told the Tado Thermostats are all wireless which would mean the cables currently in place for the TS2 + TP5000 Si will not be needed. What's the best way to make these safe and push them out the way?
  • Anything else?

Hopefully all clear. I wouldn't mind giving installing it a go as they say it's straight forward otherwise I may get someone in!

Attachments

• TP5000.jpg
    TP5000.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 3,035
  • TP9000.jpg
    TP9000.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 1,347
  • TS2.jpg
    TS2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,459
  • Wiring #1.jpg
    Wiring #1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Wiring #2.jpg
    Wiring #2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,047
Sponsored Links
You are on the right lines, but there is something a bit odd about your existing installation. The Danfoss TP9000 has a wired TS2 remote sensor for temperature control connected to terminals 5 and 6. This is an integral part of it, and controls the only available heating 'on' control signal from the programmer. However, you also have a second heating zone connected, which to me would mean that the radiators controlled by the Danfoss TP5000 Si would only work if the TS2 controlled radiators were also on at the same time. By this I mean 'on' at the programmer and also that the TS2 is calling for heat. This would mean that if the TS2 was set to its lowest setting, the TP5000 controlled radiators won't come on either. Is this correct? If so, it's a bit of a fudge.

The Tado with the extension that you post details of is for one heating zone and hot water control only. So if you used it, then the Danfoss TP5000 Si would need to stay as it is for the second zone, so you wouldn't have remote control of that zone (if it is presently controlled via the TS2 as I suspect, this may not be a problem anyway) Alternatively you can add another Tado thermostat but this would still need a final wired connection to the motorised valve for the second zone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply stem.

Just tested and the TP5000 can turn the radiators on even if the TS2 controlled ones aren't. I bumped the temperatures up and down respectively to test just now.

For some reason, the response from Tado I received implied I would only need the two Thermostats (replacing the TS2/TP5000) and a single Extension Kit (replacing the TP9000).

This house is a new build so was hoping it'd be an easy swap! If it's appearing as though it may not be then I may just stick to getting someone in to do it.

Just tested and the TP5000 can turn the radiators on even if the TS2 controlled ones aren't. I bumped the temperatures up and down respectively to test just now.
OK thanks for the update, I'm not sure how it's been done then. The TP9000 programmable thermostat only has only one heating channel, and that output is from terminal 4 'heating on' Terminal 4 becomes live when the both the programmer timings and the TS2 wired to it say so. That then begs the question, to what is the TP5000 connected? I can't see any clues in your photographs. However, if it works OK now, then you can leave the wiring be, and installing the Tado should be fairly straight forward.

For some reason, the response from Tado I received implied I would only need the two Thermostats (replacing the TS2/TP5000) and a single Extension Kit (replacing the TP9000).
That is correct. But there's actually no such thing as a truly wireless thermostat. They will communicate data with the bridge wirelessly, but they still need a wiring interface somewhere to provide the 230V power to operate the motorised valves to control your heating. As your system works OK as it is, you can swap the wired TP5000 for a second Tado Thermostat. The first thermostat can communicate wirelessly with the Extension Box and terminal 4 will operate the motorised valve for that zone as it does now. The second Tado thermostat can be a straight replacement for the wired TP5000 and as it works OK the wiring can be used as it is. if you look at page 12 of the installation manual it tells you how. To be honest, I have only worked on one Tado installation and it only had a single heating zone so maybe someone who has worked on a two zone one can advise you further.

This house is a new build so was hoping it'd be an easy swap!
Fairly recently the building regs introduced this two zone requirement as an energy saving measure, and suddenly systems that were designed for one heating zone had to be modified to have two.

So to answer your other questions:

The Tado Switched Live looks to be the wiring we have now. Looking at Tado, this should be a straight cable swap? N to N, L to L, 3 to 3 and 4 to 4. 1 and 2 are empty.
Correct.

5 and 6 on the TP9000 are for the remote thermostat (TS2) so wouldn't be required?
Also, correct.

The "looping terminals" on the TP9000 have 2 wires going into each. I'm unsure as to what these are and what we'll do with them with the Tado?
Then you will need to add some new looping terminals to replace them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again stem. I've gone ahead and ordered all the bits from Tado.

I think what I'll do is ask the site manager if I can borrow one of the guys who install the system in the houses for 30 minutes to shed some light on how it's all wired up so I'm certain. Might be cheeky and ask if they wouldn't mind switching it over as I've not doubt they could do it a lot faster than I and they'd do it right first time!

Excellent idea. When you said new, you really meant new. (Any build less than 10 years is 'new' in my book)

For my personal enlightenment, if you do find out where the TP5000 is connected, then I would appreciate it if you would kindly post back. Although I'm sure it won't be a problem for your system as it's working OK now. It would just be nice to know for future reference.

Yep - house was only completed last March and we were the 4th to move in on the estate!

Sure will do. Really appreciate the assistance. Just hope it doesn't take too long to get the kit delivered!

For my personal enlightenment, if you do find out where the TP5000 is connected, then I would appreciate it if you would kindly post back. Although I'm sure it won't be a problem for your system as it's working OK now. It would just be nice to know for future reference.

I've just heard back from the site manager. He asked the electrician and said that there's a live feed direct to the airing cupboard (which is next door to the Master Bedroom / Zone 2). Would this add up with the wiring in #3 (http://i.imgur.com/CJ6kcLx.jpg)? The TP5000 is about 1 meter away from the airing cupboard and valves themselves so it would make sense they wired it direct to the valve/piping rather than all the way down to the TP9000 (3 story house so would be quite a way!).

The only final thing which has me stumped is the looping terminals. Could you point me in the right direction of what I'll need to replace the two terminals with?

Last edited:
Regarding the wiring, question. Without seeing the whole installation it is difficult to ascertain, but what you describes about the wiring makes sense. Don't worry about it too much because if it works now it will work the same with the Tado. You won't be changing the wiring, just what is doing the switching, and from that point of view, you are swapping like for like. The technology behind the switching is more sophisticated, but at the end of the day you will still be turning zone 1 on and off, zone 2 on and off, and the hot water on and off.,

Any screw terminals will do. It looks as if there is a back box behind the existing programmer where you could tuck them away. If it's a metal back box, make sure it has an earth connection to it.

Excellent, thanks again stem.

For the 2x looping terminals, I'll use a couple of Wago connectors which I assume should be fine. I'll probably put the wires from terminals 5+6 and the TS2 in one also and just push them back in the wall for safe keeping.

Been told they're hoping to dispatch my order by next week so hopefully get the kit soon.

Hello All

New here and found this thread on Google, really hope you can help!!

Identical set up as the OP, went ahead and installed all kit. Extension kit for TP9000 in boiler cupboard, tado for TP5000SI in master bedroom & another tado to work as a wireless sensor in hall downstairs.

at first thought all is well but some issues :(

1. The radiator upstairs (where the TP 5000 si lived) is constantly on red hot, even with the tado turned off.

2. The wireless Tado (which I’ve placed in the hall downstairs, where the TS2 lived) doesn’t seem to control anything at all.

Would love some pointers guys as it’s driving me up the wall!!!

Unfortunately with the minimal information you have provided and without seeing the installation and what wires go where, it is impossible to tell. I assume everything originally worked OK before you installed the Tado.
1. The radiator upstairs (where the TP 5000 si lived) is constantly on red hot, even with the tado turned off.
Only the one radiator? What about the other upstairs radiators controlled by the TP5000si are they 'on' also? (They may be switched on by the Tado, but not actually hot because they have TRV's that have shut them down) How have you transferred the wiring from the upstairs TP5000si to the upstairs Tado thermostat?

2. The wireless Tado (which I’ve placed in the hall downstairs, where the TS2 lived) doesn’t seem to control anything at all.
Is it switching the extension box? Is the extension box jumper position set correctly? Is the hot water cylinder heating up OK? Is the light on the extension box showing 'normal operation' status?

Hi Woots82

Sounds like I've got the same problem as you - did you manage to resolve it and if so, how?

Thanks
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back