Glad to hear it's all sorted, well done. (y)

I would appreciate an update when you do get the radiator thermostats installed.

The big advantage of starting a new thread is that it is flagged as such, and easily seen by everyone in the know, rather than buried at the bottom of an existing one.

Sponsored Links
Hi @Daint & @stem,
I have found your thread searching for some solution for this particular setup. I happen to have exactly the same as Daint. I have been thinking for a while about moving to a Smart Heating system to ensure better temperature balance across the house and also greater flexibility for stay and away periods in the hope to achieve some energy savings.
Having had a look at different options and having read yours I came to the conclusion my options were either Tado (as above) or Drayton Wiser (not discussed yet I believe).
Althought the Tado would make my life easier, I have to say I am in favour of the Wiser solution. Below the pros and cons I have found:

PROS
  • I like it shows set and current temp plus humidity on the thermostat display.
  • The TRV smart thermostats allow for local boost and also to lower the setting if too worm. e.g. no need for guests to have the app or for you to go for your phone you left in another floor. Am I wrong with this and the Tado TRVs have this function too?
  • It doesn't require a subscription so geofencing and windows open detection can be done for free.
  • Their kits have been available for as little a £86.99 on the Black Friday sales (almost £100 less than usual).
  • It doesn't require another device to be plugged into my router (so many devices need this nowadays I might well end up with a rack mouted switch!)
CONS
  • It doesn't show the temp on the TRV valves.
Now the challenge. It seems the "Multizone Heating and Hot Water" Hub is a direct swap with the TP9000 like the Tado. The thermostat on the ground floor must be removed and its function can be replaced with the Wiser thermostat on the same location. TRVs are not a problem either. However, as the Wiser thermostat is wireless (I believe no wired option is available), an additional one cannot replace the TP5000 upstairs to control that circuit.

It is at this point I got stuck and thought would come for your wise-r advise :)

I have considered a few approaches, some might be a bit crazy but worth always sharing:
  1. Leave the TP5000 in place, however this would kill part of the functionality even when fitting the Wiser TRVs uptairs.
  2. Go for the Dual Channel version of the kit, which handles two water circuits plus hot water. However this uses a very different wiring, and I don't think it is the right alternative as the circuit upstairs was designed to be "dependant" on the ground floor circuit heating control. In any case, if this is the right solution it would likely mean rewiring the wiring centre and passing an additional cable from there to the hub for the additional channel.
  3. Fitting a an additional single channel heating hub in the current TP5000 location, in order for it to close the circuit via its relay. This additional hub would be commanded by an additional wireless thermostat next to it. The issue here is the hub would need mains power which is not available at the TP5000 location so it would involve getting an electrician to do that. Plus it wouldn't look that great. Alternatively, can I place it next the the wiring centre and get power from it too?
  4. Leave this all alone and get a Tado. I guess currently with the V3+ only available there is no option but to swallow the subscription if you want the extra features?

Thanks for your help in advance. Obviously I would like to find a solution, but even if it doesn't I hope this can help others that come to the same dilemma about smart heating systems.

Hi, just to let you know, I had the exact same system in my house with down heating and hot water on the tp9000 then upstairs heating on its own circuit on the tp5000 in the main bedroom. I bought the wiser kit 3 for dual zone heating and hot water. What I did was used an unused neutral wire in the tp9000 for the 3rd channel (upstairs heating) and terminated the other end in the wiring centre to the upstairs heating valve and removed the tp5000 circuit all together. So now the set up is ch1 downstairs heating, ch2 hot water, Ch3 (the live neutral) upstairs heating - it works a treat

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back