is flooring my loft possible(with pictures)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good afternoon, i am looking for a bit of advice in regards to my loft. i moved into this house a year ago and we used the spare bedroom as a storage area, i had a new boiler installed so the water tank in the loft is now defunct and i have cut it up for removal (i left it to dry out over the year). my loft has quite a lot of insulation and sits substantially higher than the joists so it obviously creates an issue with laying down board, im also not sure if its possible to lay down board, im not sure where load bearing walls are, i may need to get a professional in for advice. im just looking for general advice on here before i do so.

So for now i would like to (if possible) make use of the area in which the tank is now gone, apologies if the pictures are not great (bad lighting) but there has been a timber frame built on top of the joists to house the old tank......joist>timber>timber>chipboard>old tank (can see this on pictures), this area is sitting pretty much above a wall that separates 2 bedrooms. i would like to remove the old chipboard and floor that area with new OSB/chipboard to add storage, boxes, xmas decorations etc. i have "mocked up" the floor plan pictures to show roughly the direction in which the current joists run and where the current timber frame roughly sits. has anyone been in this situation before and if i wanted to get professional advice does anyone know what sort of people i would contact for advice?

Attachments

• IMG_6698.png
    IMG_6698.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_6727.JPEG
    IMG_6727.JPEG
    357.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_6728.JPEG
    IMG_6728.JPEG
    436.2 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_6732.JPEG
    IMG_6732.JPEG
    418.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_6736.JPEG
    IMG_6736.JPEG
    463.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6737.JPEG
    IMG_6737.JPEG
    377.3 KB · Views: 62
  • joists.png
    joists.png
    232.6 KB · Views: 72
  • joistsexample.png
    joistsexample.png
    183.5 KB · Views: 66
Sponsored Links
my loft has quite a lot of insulation and sits substantially higher than the joists so it obviously creates an issue with laying down board, im also not sure if its possible to lay down board, im not sure where load bearing walls are, i may need to get a professional in for advice
To get around the insulation problem you can use loft legs, Wickes and other places sell them but you lose 175mm headroom. If you compress the insulation you reduce its effectiveness. I wouldn't be concerned about the loading.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back