Supporting the loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need some advice. I want to use the loft space for storage and thinking of putting in a loft ladder for safer access. The loft floor is composed by 2x4" joists and they are about 1ft apart. There is a current 600mmx600mm opening. Ideally I want to have a timber folding ladder installed, but that requires a larger opening, thus cutting a joist or two (can't go the other way, the hall way is orient that the larger opening has to cut more joists). The roof construction is strange. It reminds me of the trussed rafter roof, but it is not exactly a "W" (I will post a photo when I get a hold to my camera). The total flooring area (including the not clear for standing) is about 30 square meters.

Here is my question. Is it safe to trim the joist in this situation? Is it reasonable to expect a 2x4" joist support the trimmer joists structures, the truss frame and additional storage? I will leave the work to a professional carpenter to do the installation, but I am worry if I should actually get a structural engineer instead.

Thank you very much.

Sigurd

Sponsored Links
It is possible, and while I can't picture the layout any good carpenter will know how to proceed, most likely without the need for an engineer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back