Is it a bad idea to drill artex from about 30 years ago?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so basically I need to box in some pipes for my nan behind her toilet and obviously it would be a lot easier if I can drill into the wall for the frame but I am nervous about there being asbestos.

She recently had her bathroom converted and they have drilled a handle on the wall but I don't know if they tested for asbestos or if they even cared.

I will attach a picture for you to see. I reckon it was done around late 80's.

Please can someone advise.

Attachments

• PXL_20230426_113659677.jpg
    PXL_20230426_113659677.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20230426_101342135.jpg
    PXL_20230426_101342135.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 45
Sponsored Links
Dampen the area and go ahead.
Nobody will die.
Or, you could even go to the extent of splashing some bitumen on the area, but your drill bit will need a good clean afterwards.

Back when you were allowed to do lower risk stuff in the course of your business if you'd done the appropiate course (these days you have to have a yearly medical as well) the advice given was put a dab of shaving foam where you are drilling and the dust will be contained in the foam, then you clean up the foam with a wet wipe, that goes in the red contaminated waste bag that you'd have available....

Dampen the area where you are drilling and have someone, (voluntarily), hold a vacuum nozzle close by just in case any dust does try to escape.

The blue and brown asbestos was banned in the UK in 1985. These are the dangerous ones, although if they are in sound condition there is no danger. It's when you disturb it that it poses a risk. White asbestos was banned in 1999
If you are still unsure, you can always get it tested to find out for definite. Contact a reputable company, not someone you see advertising in a local paper or shop window.

Sponsored Links
Get it tested
Some drill through shaving foam but better to get tested at that age

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your inputs.

I am still on the fence about it to be honest. The bit near where I would need to drill is weak as well. I could just attach some wood to the skirting and build the frame up from there. It wouldn't look as professional but it wouldn't matter once the plywood is over it.

She did have her hallway tested recently and there was no asbestos but I think that was done 5 years after the bathroom.

It's about 1.5mm thick and with a 6mm drill it's such a tiny amount. it's enough to keep you awake though.

I know things are tight but try find the £40 and get it tested .

I think it's unlikely to contain asbestos tbh. It's clearly not a professional job and DIY stores mostly stocked the Artex brand which never had asbestos in around your time period. Artex was first to go asbestos free in 1984 Ish. Maybe before that. I never seen any asbestos in Artex. Only ever in suretex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back