Is it an electrical fault?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had a new bath fitted at the weekend and the plumber caught the electric wire for the boiler in the panel, this blew the fuse in the airing cupboard. Got it sorted but since then my boiler continues to be in heating mode and the pump is still going even when the the timer says its off, or it will switch itself back on at the boiler, but control panel in airing cupboard is not active and the heating isn't on. Has the bathroom fitted messed up the wiring for the central heating? At the moment I am switching my heating and hot water on using the switch in the airing cupboard, because my pump is getting very hot. The boiler is a Vaillant eco TEC plus and was installed 2 months ago along with a new pump.

Sponsored Links
I think you know the answer :rolleyes:

If the cable was damaged enough to pop a fuse it is still likely to be damaged, sounds like it's been pinched and although the fuse is not popping you now have a bunch of control kit that is going haywire.

Call in a plumber with control wiring knowledge and make the contractor who caused the damage is told to pick up the cost of the remedial works.

I would suggest that you isolate the power to the boiler / pump and controls since the pump could get to a point where it will burn out causing a potential fire risk.

Does "Caught" mean "pulled"?

the wiring for CH and boiler controls looks very complicated if (like me) you don't know what they all do. But a Gas CH engineer will probably identify it in a trice.

John D- Wire is wire, most are okay when you have a decent manufacture diagram set in front of you.

I do agree that a plumber with control wiring experience is a better bet than a call out spark, without the experience. Quicker fix time being the priority, although I'd hope that 90% of 'us lot' can do it, but horses for courses and all that :D

Sponsored Links
...a Gas CH engineer will probably identify it in a trice.
Oh, I wish!

The number of times I get asked to run cable for stats and remote controllers... and "oh, while you're here, you wouldn't mind just connecting up, would you?"

There must be such things as control-competent heating 'engineers', but I have yet to make the acquaintance of one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back