Is it difficult to replace sky cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed that my sky cable had become impaled on a carpet gripper and sky didnt work until the cable as freed. The cable obviously has a hole in it now so i would like to replace it as every now and then i lose signal or the picture freezes for a few seconds etc. I have some satelite cable, weatherproof f connectors and all the right tools to do the job but i was just wondering how difficult it would be to replace the cable? Obviously I dont want to screw up my sky! The dish and box are fine so I wouldnt be messing with them, it would just be a cable replacement. Any help or walkthrough would be appreciated! Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
easy peasey m8,if you already have an idea on how to do it then DO IT ;) ,only thing i think you might need is self amalgamating tape for the lnb end,done mine yonks back even used a connector in the middle worked fine.

Is this a normal Sky box or a Sky+/+HD box if its the latter you will need two runs of cable or some twin shotgun type cable.
Main things to watch for are when disconnecting the F connector at the LNB try not to move the dish too much, the weatherproof tape my need cutting away with a sharp knife and if the connector is tight a 10mm spanner comes in handy.
When clipping the cable dont put any sharp kinks or bends in as this will affect the signal, also when making the ends off the outer copper braiding must not touch the inner core at all this will cause a short circuit.
I would avoid tucking the cable between the wall and carpet gripper as this will prob cause the same fault again.

Sounds like you just need to replace a section of the cable, from just before the part that's damaged to your sky box. No need to climb up to your dish and reroute the entire length of cable, unless you really wanted to.

You'll need an f-plug to f-plug extension cable, a coaxial f-plug to fit to the bare end of your existing cable (after you've cut the damaged section part out) and an f-plug to f-plug connector to join the existing cable to the new extension lead.

In fact, if there was enough play in the existing cable, you could just cut the damaged section of cable out (probably only an inch or so), put a coaxial f-plug on each bare end of the remaining cable (they just screw on over the outer casing of the coax cable) and join together with an f-plug to f-plug connector - no need to buy the extension lead.

All the bits you'd need are available from Screwfix very cheaply (sorry if advertising isn't allowed!). Just be careful, as already posted, to be sure that the solid core of the coax doesn't come into contact with the outer thin copper wires otherwise you'll get a pants picture, if any.

Sponsored Links
Just re-read the OP and you've already got cable etc, sound like you just need the f-plug to f-plug connector.

If you keep away from your dish and just replace the cable inside the house then at least you'll know where any problem lies if you experience any, as you won't have accidentally moved the dish while changing the cable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back