Joining 'shotgun' Sky coax cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve been reading another current post on “coax cable for sky?” and I need some advice about joining satelite cable runs. My current situation is:

Dish high up chimney stack. ‘Shotgun’ cable drops down chimney stack and enters building at high-level through the gable wall into the attic where it runs across to the other side of the house (detached double-fronted Victorian) and then out through the other gable wall. It then drops down two floors to ground level where it enters the building again and into the Sky+ box and flatscreen telly. I’ve got other separate TV’s scattered about the house but all are on conventional aerial for Freeview.

I plan to move the Sky+HD box and it’s flatscreen telly to the other side of the house so need to extend it’s ‘shotgun’ cable to reach.

Ideally, I’d like to cut the ‘shotgun’ cable (from the dish) in the attic and connect it with a new length of similar cable which could be routed to the new position of the Sky+ box. Is it acceptable to JOIN this type of cable, say with F connectors, and not compromise the signal?

The now redundant length of cable will be left in situ. Would you recommend the above join (in the attic) be via some sort of splitter ... so that the ‘old’ cable route could remain viable so that the Sky+ box and telly could be moved back ... maybe after Mrs Symptom’s change of mind about the new sitting room?

If the above plan is fine perhaps you could post a shopping list of bits I’d need.

Thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Sponsored Links
Generally the way to join satelite cable is to use F connectors and F barrel couplers.

You can't really split satellite cable. Of course if you put connectors on the original cable as well you can just disconnect the new cable from the couplers and reconnect the original cable.

Alternatively if you are prepared to go up a tall ladder you could just run another cable to the dish. The LNB most likely has four outputs so you can have both rooms connected to the dish that way (and if you want get a second sky+ HD box later).

Make sure you buy suitable connectors for the cable you have, different sizes of coax need different connectors.

I'd reccomend using foam filled coax for all new external runs (whatever they are for) the cheaper extruded plastic stuff can act as a pipe if water gets in which both ruins the coax and can ruin connected equipment as well.

Thanks plugwash for your prompt reply.

Running a new extra cable directly from the dish's LNB to the new sitting room is an elegant solution and the one I'll use. I checked the LNB through my binoculars today and there are a couple of unused outputs which I can use. I've got a set of treble ladders so can get up to the dish to do the work. I'll also source some of that foam-filled coax you recommend & matching connectors.

Once done Mrs Symptoms can change her mind as often as she likes :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back