Is it easy to replace a uPVC multipoint lock?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is changing the multipoint lock on a fairly standard uPVC front door something anyone can do?

I intend to order a lock from this place

http://www.multipointlocks.co.uk/

and fit it myself to save having to call a locksmith. I'm assuming there won't be anything more difficult to do than unscrewing a few screws, pulling out the old lock and putting in the new one. Is that right?

Are there any special mechanisms inside that could mess things up for me? I've noticed that the usual DIY chains don't seem to stock multipoint locks despite the fact that uPVC doors are commonplace now and it made me wonder if the job isn't as simple as I had thought. They seem to stock just about everything else, after all!

All comments appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Make sure you order the correct mechanism (manufacturer/model/backset/centres etc.), and that the rollers/mushrooms/bolts etc all match your existing frame strikes.

If your mechanism is no longer manufactured, then you'll need to get a substitute mechanism and then alter the strikes. This is where it will pay to get a Locksmith in to minimise the amount of extra cutting-out in the door/frame.

Fitting is relatively straight forward, but you'll probably have to trim the top/bottom of the mechanism to fit the door.

Have a go at taking your existing mechanism out and re-fitting to get used to the procedure before ordering a replacement. If you're not comfortable, let someone with experience do it.

Is your existing mechanism faulty ?.

Thanks for the info.

No, I"m thinking in terms of a new property and changing the old locks over for new ones, just for security/peace of mind. I think the doors are fairly new so there should be a good chance of getting the exact same mechanism.

Assuming I get the correct part, I guess is the procedure a simple 'lift out old, put in new'?

I have changed locks before on other types of doors so I just wanted to make sure there are no 'hidden dangers' of doing this with a uPVC door and a multipoint lock.

If there's nothing wrong with the mechanism, then there's no need to swap it out. If you're just after "piece of mind", then just change the Euro cylinder - the bit that the key goes into. You can pick these up from most UPVC suppliers and some DIY sheds also carry the cheaper ones. Just make sure you get the correct size, and don't leave loads of cylinder showing on the outside.

Sponsored Links
Ah I see. Thanks. In that case I will probbaly just swap the cylinders. Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back