Is it illegal to do this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My electric supply comes in on armoured cable into my loft space into the cut out, I want to knock down the wall where the cutout, meter and fuse board are currently, to a position in a bedroom (this dosnt require a longer cable as its closer to where the cable comes into the house), is it illegal to cut the seals on the cut out and meter and move these things myself? I know a couple of guys who have the stainless steel seals to make good as they worked for the electricity board some years ago.
I obviously know the safety aspect of doing this job so useful comments only?

Sponsored Links
If you have to ask that question then you already know the answer. Apart from that, you seem to be applying for a Darwin award (by contemplating working on a live mains feeder circuit.

You know those fireworks you get that go up into the air and go off with a bright flash and a very loud bang? Well imagine that in the house and that's what you are risking happening.

You obviously do NOT know the dangers of doing that job otherwise you would not even think about doing it.

You could end up with an uncontrollable arc of at least 200 amps or what ever the network fuse for the street is. At 230 volts that would be equivalent to 50 kilowatts of heat concentrated at the end of the cable which will met the conductors, set fire the the cable, blow molten metal in all directions and set alight any combustable material they hit. Those drops of molten metal can burn an inch deep into your flesh .

Or you could be lucky and get away with it.

Sponsored Links
You obviously do NOT know the dangers of doing that job otherwise you would not even think about doing it.

You could end up with an uncontrollable arc of at least 200 amps or what ever the network fuse for the street is. At 230 volts that would be equivalent to 50 kilowatts of heat concentrated at the end of the cable which will met the conductors, set fire the the cable, blow molten metal in all directions and set alight any combustable material they hit. Those drops of molten metal can burn an inch deep into your flesh .

Or you could be lucky and get away with it.

Chances are the bang wouldn't blow the s/s fuse, it would just arc away until the live burns away from the neutral. Don't touch it.

Haha, very amusing, Marky, you really had us going there.

you are wrong saying its an armoured cables as no dno's use armoured cable, they use twin or split concentric, if it is armoured cable then it is a private submain, it is illegal as well as dangerous, call the dno and they will give you a quote, the cable through loft space doesnt meet with dno's rules anymore, so should get a good discount as that needs addressing, although will need to find a new route

fao jak, the dno will more than likely work on it live, i would but then i work for wpd

you are wrong saying its an armoured cables as no dno's use armoured cable,

It could be an old tape armoured 2 core! PVC service cables were only installed after the early '70s. (though there are some non-standard SWA services in some areas)

(if it is that makes it even more dangerous to work on if you don't know the correct technique)

The over heads were replaced 5 years ago the cable comes up the front of the building through the faceier over the joists and down into the cut out on the landing

A then it will be a CNE or SCNE cable, not armoured as you suppose!

Ask yourself this, "Is a bedroom to best location for a cut-out, meter & CU?"

Certainly we would never put them in a bedroom!

Think About it

Electrical Burn

electrical_burn_hand.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back