Is it illegal to do this?

You've been told it's both dangerous and illegal. What more do you want us to say? :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
I'll just tell you what you want to hear....

Go for it, its risky but worth it to save paying professionals to do it. Just in case though, have someone watch you and have '99' already dialed into a phone. And if it does go wrong its not a certainty that you will get killed, it could work out OK and save loads of money!

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: You may be joking, but not really wanted on this forum thanks
i hear theres a couple of other forums like that sort of thing

Interestingly because it is an overhead service, DNO staff would not work on it live as it falls outside any exemption of the EAWR.

Sponsored Links
After reading my starting post I think I may have missed something, the incoming cable would never ever be removed from the cut out obviously the tails would be removed after the fuse has been removed then the screws holding the cut out to the board would be removed releasing the cut out then from the loft the cable and cutout would be pulled through a hole and walked across the loft and down a new hole (bedroom wall and fixed one again to a new board.
Just want to point out a few things here, I would never ever go down the route of danger but it seems a simple job to me, the initial question was is it illegal to do it?

After reading my starting post I think I may have missed something, the incoming cable would never ever be removed from the cut out obviously the tails would be removed after the fuse has been removed then the screws holding the cut out to the board would be removed releasing the cut out then from the loft the cable and cutout would be pulled through a hole and walked across the loft and down a new hole (bedroom wall and fixed one again to a new board.
Just want to point out a few things here, I would never ever go down the route of danger but it seems a simple job to me, the initial question was is it illegal to do it?

For the umpteenth time YES it is illegal to touch, and dangerous.
This electrical equipment does not belong to you.

the incoming cable would never ever be removed from the cut out ~~~~~ and cutout would be pulled through a hole and walked across the loft and down a new hole (bedroom wall and fixed one again to a new board

DO NOT EVEN THINK OF DOING THAT
Bending the cable close to the cut out may cause one of the conductors to be pulled out of the terminal inside the cutout. BIG BANG

If the cable is old then bending it may result in the insulation breaking.

LEAVE IT TO THE DNO

Nothing like a shocking photo ! Fireworks do that as well and smoking is a killer

Would you deliberately hold a firework in your hand. If you don't smoke would you now take it up knowing the consequences?

I get a little peeved with some of the people on here who (on a DIY forum) do nothing but quote Part P all the time, but on this occasion the advice you are being given is consistent and 100% correct.

Personally I don't give a toss about the legality, but the possible consequences do not bear thinking about.

706ecmAF3pic1.jpg

To be fair, it is a simple job - to someone who knows what they are doing and how to avoid the inherent (potentially lethal) dangers.

"I would never ever go down the route of danger but it seems a simple job to me,"

You obviously do not know your amp from your elbow

Electrical burns go deep, they destroy not only the skin but flesh as well, and are extremely painful and slow to heal.

Wotan

I know the dangers of electricity but its the outrageous amount of money the network want to do the simple job, anyway I have now emailed the application through to get a site visit to the property !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back