Is it legal for a gas safe engineer to use non qualified help?

As long as the Gas Safe engineer is present and supervising whilst the works are being carried out by the apprentice, its perfectly legal.

Anyone undertaking a Gas training course to become a gas engineer is required to complete a number of gas installs under the supervision of a qualified engineer.

Sponsored Links
That’s all fine but at one point you know they’ve just got to move on to humans!

But, with the way society is going, what if that particular human identifies themselves as a cat, or a giraffe or even a table? Are you still classed as having trained on a human??

Probably coz he was paying him cash :LOL:
Yes, he was doing that as well.

##################
No, it won't last for ever;
and if you don't have it maintained...
it will last considerably less time!
##################
My 30+ year old boiler was not maintained very well and this was the first major fault, so maybe I would have got another few years out of it if it was.

Couldn't read that. Can you fix your carriage return please.

Il summarise for you

He had a dodgy boiler changed although turns out it wasnt a dodgy boiler but a dodgy meter.

In the process of trying to get the original boiler repaired he had 37 different engineers quote him.

But his main concern was the RGI who fit the boiler had an assistant/helper/apprentice who wasnt gas safe and had no proof of competency on soldering pipes. Solder Safe is a recognised qualification.

Sponsored Links
I wasn't sure if you had to pass a practical test of competence in soldering the pipes before being let loose on the gas pipes in someones house.
And if you insist ;)
A guesstimate of supply and fit a Vaillant Eco Pro 28kw and the stated pipework through 2 walls mostly a straightish line along the ceilings. The original was about an inch pipe from the meter and changed to 15 mm some where along the length under the floor. My guess is about 2.5 metres before the end as there is a split off pipe there that goes upstairs but it is capped off (old house).
The new boiler fired up and worked but he was muttering something about 900 ppm during a test and said the pipe needed changing. It still failed after doing the pipe. It turned out to be the governor on the meter. I am wondering if that was my problem from the start and I didn't need a new boiler. The old one was an ancient Vaillant Sine 18 T3w, the pilot was on but it wouldn't fire up. Three engineers gave 3 different diagnostics for it. The 2 free ones I ignored as they probably wanted me to have a new boiler anyway and didn't even open it up. The one I paid said there was no power to the circuit boards. As I am qualified in electronics I had a check afterward and there was power everywhere. I decided to replace it anyway as no one wanted to try to repair it. When I called engineers I asked specifically if they knew that type of boiler they said yes, then when they got here said they hadn't seen one before. one tried to blag it and said he knew that type but struggled to open it and then gave up said he wouldn't be able to get the parts and one said all boilers are the same, another I had an argument on the phone about fitting instant electric water heaters which I had done as we had no hot water for over a month while trying to get someone to fix the boiler. I was thinking of just getting a heating only boiler. He said that a 3kw one would burn the wiring in my house and when I said my kettle was 3kw he said no way are they that high, I told him not to bother to come. To save on an electrician I was going to do one 3kw instant zip water heater at the beginning of the pipe then another nearer the tap end as I thought this would probably work better than a single 6kw one. No tank; which he kept banging on about heating a tank of water is costly ignoring what I was saying.
I am not impressed by the local talent(less).

As I rushed it a bit as I was very busy, I have changed it for those having a problem reading it.

A guesstimate of supply and fit a Vaillant Eco Pro 28kw and the stated pipework through 2 walls mostly a straightish line along the ceilings. The original was about an inch pipe from the meter and changed to 15 mm some where along the length under the floor. My guess is about 2.5 metres before the end as there is a split off pipe there that goes upstairs but it is capped off (old house).

The new boiler fired up and worked but he was muttering something about 900 ppm during a test and said the pipe needed changing. It still failed after doing the pipe. It turned out to be the governor on the meter. I am wondering if that was my problem from the start and I didn't need a new boiler.

The old one was an ancient Vaillant Sine 18 T3w, the pilot was on but it wouldn't fire up. Three engineers gave 3 different diagnostics for it. The 2 free ones I ignored as they probably wanted me to have a new boiler anyway and didn't even open it up. The one I paid for said there was no power to the circuit boards. As I am qualified in electronics I had a check afterward and there was power everywhere. I decided to replace it anyway as no one wanted to try to repair it.

When I called engineers I asked specifically if they knew that type of boiler they said yes, then when they got here said they hadn't seen one before. One tried to blag it and said he knew that type but struggled to open it and then gave up said he wouldn't be able to get the parts. Another said all boilers are the same, and again didn't open it. And yet another decided to argue with me on the phone about getting a heating only boiler because I had installed instant electric water heaters because we had no boiler for over a month while I was trying to get someone to fix it. He said that a 3kw one would burn the wiring in my house and when I said my kettle was 3kw he said no way are they that high, I told him not to bother to come. To save on an electrician I was going to do one 3kw instant zip water heater at the beginning of the pipe then another nearer the tap end as I thought this would probably work better than a single 6kw one. No tank; which he kept banging on about heating a tank of water is costly ignoring what I was saying.
I am not impressed by the local talent(less).

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...-use-non-qualified-help.513883/#ixzz5YrQsE4XD

Il summarise for you

He had a dodgy boiler changed although turns out it wasnt a dodgy boiler but a dodgy meter.

In the process of trying to get the original boiler repaired he had 37 different engineers quote him.

But his main concern was the RGI who fit the boiler had an assistant/helper/apprentice who wasnt gas safe and had no proof of competency on soldering pipes. Solder Safe is a recognised qualification.
It was 5 quotes, but well done! you still win the Goldfish...........Sorry I forgot the boiler was working now and used the hot tap to fill the bowl.

But, with the way society is going, what if that particular human identifies themselves as a cat, or a giraffe or even a table? Are you still classed as having trained on a human??
It all depends what is on the death certificate. If it shows a domestic animal they have to be buried in the pet cemetery. If a table they have to be up cycled, a plant they have to be composted and a zoo animal they have to be fed to the lions unless it is a lion then a crocodile can have them..

Anyone undertaking a Gas training course to become a gas engineer is required to complete a number of gas installs under the supervision of a qualified engineer.
My mates son is doing something like this at the moment. I think he’s done about 8 or 10 weeks at a college and he’s now working with his mate in his dads plumbing/heating company. I think he had to fit 3 boilers under supervision to complete his training. I’m unsure as what it actually qualifies him to do when qualified - fit boilers maybe but I don’t think it makes him a heating engineer - pretty sure that was a separate 12 week course in sarcasm and participation in a plumbing and heating forum. :rolleyes:

It all depends what is on the death certificate. If it shows a domestic animal they have to be buried in the pet cemetery. If a table they have to be up cycled, a plant they have to be composted and a zoo animal they have to be fed to the lions unless it is a lion then a crocodile can have them..
Another customer from hell.

My mates son is doing something like this at the moment. I think he’s done about 8 or 10 weeks at a college and he’s now working with his mate in his dads plumbing/heating company. I think he had to fit 3 boilers under supervision to complete his training. I’m unsure as what it actually qualifies him to do when qualified - fit boilers maybe but I don’t think it makes him a heating engineer - pretty sure that was a separate 12 week course in sarcasm and participation in a plumbing and heating forum. :rolleyes:
What he is doing is creating a portfolio of proof, there is a set number of tasks that he has to complete some watching and some him/her actually doing it with a qualified person supervising, the qualified engineer signs off the portfolio, and this goes with other documents to allow the candidate to go on to study for ACS qualifications.

Attachments

• devil.jpg
    devil.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 152

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back