Is it legal for a gas safe engineer to use non qualified help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had a new boiler, during the install I overheard the engineer taking to his helper and he said legally he should not really be helping him. The helper did the plumbing to the boiler and most of a 20 metre x 22 mm gas pipe. On the first day the helpers son flushed the rads.

Sponsored Links
Yes of course it's legal. How else would apprentices learn the job? He might not have been insured or something like that, but there's no rules against someone doing gas work under supervision of a superior

If the gas safe registered engineer is taking full responsibility for the complete gas installation and testing and signing it all off then the buck stops with him, regardless of who does the work, he should have overseen all the gas work being performed but again, if he signs it off then it all becomes his work.

The wet side of the CH is not relevant only the gas.

Sponsored Links
as already stated of course its OK, how are the apprentices and trainees supposed to learn, feel a cost question coming along

You could ask the same question about surgeons. They’ve all got to start somewhere.

Edit: But hopefully not on me! :cautious:

Last edited:
That’s all fine but at one point you know they’ve just got to move on to humans!

as already stated of course its OK, how are the apprentices and trainees supposed to learn, feel a cost question coming along

I wasn't sure if you had to pass a practical test of competence in soldering the pipes before being let loose on the gas pipes in someones house.
And if you insist ;)
A guesstimate of supply and fit a Vaillant Eco Pro 28kw and the stated pipework through 2 walls mostly a straightish line along the ceilings. The original was about an inch pipe from the meter and changed to 15 mm some where along the length under the floor. My guess is about 2.5 metres before the end as there is a split off pipe there that goes upstairs but it is capped off (old house).
The new boiler fired up and worked but he was muttering something about 900 ppm during a test and said the pipe needed changing. It still failed after doing the pipe. It turned out to be the governor on the meter. I am wondering if that was my problem from the start and I didn't need a new boiler. The old one was an ancient Vaillant Sine 18 T3w, the pilot was on but it wouldn't fire up. Three engineers gave 3 different diagnostics for it. The 2 free ones I ignored as they probably wanted me to have a new boiler anyway and didn't even open it up. The one I paid said there was no power to the circuit boards. As I am qualified in electronics I had a check afterward and there was power everywhere. I decided to replace it anyway as no one wanted to try to repair it. When I called engineers I asked specifically if they knew that type of boiler they said yes, then when they got here said they hadn't seen one before. one tried to blag it and said he knew that type but struggled to open it and then gave up said he wouldn't be able to get the parts and one said all boilers are the same, another I had an argument on the phone about fitting instant electric water heaters which I had done as we had no hot water for over a month while trying to get someone to fix the boiler. I was thinking of just getting a heating only boiler. He said that a 3kw one would burn the wiring in my house and when I said my kettle was 3kw he said no way are they that high, I told him not to bother to come. To save on an electrician I was going to do one 3kw instant zip water heater at the beginning of the pipe then another nearer the tap end as I thought this would probably work better than a single 6kw one. No tank; which he kept banging on about heating a tank of water is costly ignoring what I was saying.
I am not impressed by the local talent(less).

i would suggest he is trying to give "confidence " to his trainee
by showing you trust them it relaxes them stops them making as many nervous mistakes :D
and yes you go by there aptitude and either do subtle checks not to ruin there confidence
or do it openly at the end as part off "this is the full checks we do" including your own work as you go as well as theres

I wasn't sure if you had to pass a practical test of competence in soldering the pipes before being let loose on the gas pipes in someones house.
And if you insist ;)
A guesstimate of supply and fit a Vaillant Eco Pro 28kw and the stated pipework through 2 walls mostly a straightish line along the ceilings. The original was about an inch pipe from the meter and changed to 15 mm some where along the length under the floor. My guess is about 2.5 metres before the end as there is a split off pipe there that goes upstairs but it is capped off (old house).
The new boiler fired up and worked but he was muttering something about 900 ppm during a test and said the pipe needed changing. It still failed after doing the pipe. It turned out to be the governor on the meter. I am wondering if that was my problem from the start and I didn't need a new boiler. The old one was an ancient Vaillant Sine 18 T3w, the pilot was on but it wouldn't fire up. Three engineers gave 3 different diagnostics for it. The 2 free ones I ignored as they probably wanted me to have a new boiler anyway and didn't even open it up. The one I paid said there was no power to the circuit boards. As I am qualified in electronics I had a check afterward and there was power everywhere. I decided to replace it anyway as no one wanted to try to repair it. When I called engineers I asked specifically if they knew that type of boiler they said yes, then when they got here said they hadn't seen one before. one tried to blag it and said he knew that type but struggled to open it and then gave up said he wouldn't be able to get the parts and one said all boilers are the same, another I had an argument on the phone about fitting instant electric water heaters which I had done as we had no hot water for over a month while trying to get someone to fix the boiler. I was thinking of just getting a heating only boiler. He said that a 3kw one would burn the wiring in my house and when I said my kettle was 3kw he said no way are they that high, I told him not to bother to come. To save on an electrician I was going to do one 3kw instant zip water heater at the beginning of the pipe then another nearer the tap end as I thought this would probably work better than a single 6kw one. No tank; which he kept banging on about heating a tank of water is costly ignoring what I was saying.
I am not impressed by the local talent(less).

Couldn't read that. Can you fix your carriage return please.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back