Is it me or the paint that's too thick?

Must Admit i dont know the allcoat.
But! I use this http://www.zinsseruk.com/Shop/Product.aspx?cId=130&pgId=357 on nicotine stains and thin down with absolutly nooo problem with white spirit.. bit of a smell for an hr or so but all dry and ready to apply any type of finish in one hr.
I usually apply it with a 4" wall and mohair roller on large flat area's Just used it on an old ceder conservatory exterior~~beats aluminium primer ..

good luck

Sponsored Links
Coverstain is normally what I would use/recommend jondecs, and is excellent as you suggest, but seeing as the OP already had the Allcoat there was little point. I've never thinned it myself so it's good to know it still works as well, so thanks for that. :D

As for application, I've already given my preferred method but have no qualms with any other.

I did try a few drops of white spirit on the paintpad which seemed to help, I was worried about doing this as the instructions state do not thin.
I am hopeful that a roller will manage this much better as the pressure needed to transfer the paint from the pad to the surface also caused the paint to leak and drip from the pad sponge. I think this paint needs to be quite thick as it's supposed to cover difficult areas so pads are ineffective in this situation.

A concern I have is the paint drying out before use, I am using about 500ml at a time. Should I decant to a capped bottle and use have a smaller amount of paint in the tray?

Could you please explain why you would use a 4" roller instead of a 9"? I have a lot of surface area to cover.

Just to cover all bases, 3 of the rooms have textured wallpaper that have been painted over in the past. Should I expect to use long pile for those?

The reason I would use a mini roller is because it is easier to control the solvent based paint with and seems allow the paint to go further, (that might be my imagination :confused: ) but it will take a while longer. Basically, it's personal preference, but seeing as you have such a large area then you may well be better off going with a 9" roller and there is no technical reason not to.

If I was using the water based version then I would go for a 9" roller.

Sponsored Links
A 4" roller in either sponge or mohair in the hands of a Decorator is indeed a very useful tool, yet I have a feeling that using such a product will be very hard work for you. You also speak of a textured wallpaper this will render that type of sleeve more than just hard work it will seem to be impossible for you to cover the areas.

A 9" medium pile roller will make life a lot easier for you and enable you to get the work done quicker and ensure that all the areas are covered, that alone is of paramount importance with regard to sealing the substrate.

Dec

It's just your OPINION mate. Give it a rest, you are no authority on the subject. :rolleyes:

Joe

I am fully aware of both your manner and rather obscene approach to many contributors to this forum of which I seem to have become one,well it will remain to me to be water off a ducks back so frankly you are wasting your time.

Dec

Joe

My limited understanding of this subject needs all the help it can get and the guys here have been kind enough to spend their own time helping to enlighten me. I can't thank them enough for that.

I'm going to try the 9" and see how I get on due to speed, I have a 4" if I have control issues and I have a funny feeling I will :)

Thanks again guys, you have been awesome.

Oops I should have wrote 'cut in with a 4" walbrush and filled with a 9" mohair on flat area's and medium pile on textured.' :oops:

Joe

I am fully aware of both your manner and rather obscene approach to many contributors to this forum of which I seem to have become one,well it will remain to me to be water off a ducks back so frankly you are wasting your time.

Dec

I tell it like it is. I work in the real world where men are men. God only knows what you do if you get offended by straight talk. :rolleyes:

It would take a a far bigger and better man than you my friend to offend me, and I two live in the real world yet I am happy to have learned one trade as opposed to a jack of all trades and master of none.

Dec

That's your weakness mate. I know the trades from all angles. Painting is hardly a lifetime skill is it? I can teach someone in days.

Lol Jon,

I was just thinking about the size of the cut in brush :)

Dec said go for a synthetic so I found a B&Q Select Fine Finish Paint Brush 4 Inch for £7, would that be a use and throw brush or would it last?

Thanks for the advice

That's your weakness mate. I know the trades from all angles. Painting is hardly a lifetime skill is it? I can teach someone in days.

And I dont doubt you could so perhaps it is not that I don't live in the real world yet you who live in mere fantasy.

Dec

Dec,

I have been reading up on this site for a few days to try and gain as much knowledge as possible, I have noticed on many occasions Joe's posts lead me to think he is either very funny or very angry.

Do you think the B&Q "quality" 4" brush will be as said or should I get a keeper?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back