Is it necessary to expose sewer when digging foundations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The thought just popped into my head as we'll be digging soon. There will be a perpendicular sewer through foundations, of which we have a good idea of location and depth from both ours and our neighbours manholes.

We will have foundations 500mm either side of sewer and 150mm below as per the build over agreement, but there is no requirement given for what the sewer has to be surrounded by. I just assumed we would have to dig it all out to expose it and then backfill with pea shingle or something, but I'm not sure now I think about it - maybe we could just dig 500mm either side and leave the middle as it is, full of earth?

What normally happens in this case? Without exposing the sewer we could not measure the 500 and 150 gaps exactly of course, but in our case we can have a pretty accurate guess.

What would a BCO normally expect to see? Only phoned ours this morning so thought I'd canvas general opinion before I pester him again!

Sponsored Links
Your details submitted and agreed in the build over agreement should specify any treatment to the pipes. If none mentioned, then no need to expose them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back