Is it normal to ask for a 50% deposit before starting work..

i dont ask for a deposit and dont like part payments either . maybe i.m old fashioned . but from a customers point of view a lady saidi will pay you 50% when the building materials are delivered . the goods were delivered and placed in her front garden , she then paid the builder he rand next day said h ewas held up and would start on the monday . the following day a lorry pulls up and starts taking the stuff back when she asked what is happening and this stuff was hers the driver said the firm had not paid forthe goods ..... also i have seen some craftsmens work and its been absolute shyte and they have been paid . so its a very hard line

Sponsored Links
People asking for large deposits ususally spells out "I'm a bit skint so need some money for bits"

Surely a reputable firm will have plenty of money in their account to upfront the cost of their materials. A contract should be signed along with terms and conditions which perfectly explains the payment details.

Still, its perfectly fine to ask for a 10 or 20% deposit but half wack is un-necessary.

And there's the nub of it - contracts.

If you use one, then everyone knows what they're paying out for, when and why.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being transparent with your customer "this is how much I want, here's what you get for it

we have always had 50% deposit up front .
never had a customer say no not once.
at the end of the day we have to buy all the gear for the job .

Sponsored Links
Try asking one of our customers for 50% towards a 5k fascia order before we've even arrived on site. :eek:

We do this - well not for fascia of course - and it does not matter if it's a 2k or 7k wood floor order. Clients accept this (because they know upfront what our terms of payments are).
50% of materials on ordering, as simple as that.

Ladies/Gents,

There was a time when if the job was big enough (That depends on what you think is big!) you could have the money for payment of the contract set into a joint building society account.

The idea is the owner can't spend it because he needs the contractors agreement to withdraw. And the Contractor can't get at it unless the owner is happy.

I hear you all already! - There are conditions attached to the deposit so that if one party tries to play unfair, the funds, all or part thereof can be released to the appropriate side.

I am not current on this particular method but know something similar can be set up if you have a mind to do so. It means going to your Bank Manager in the end and seeing what they can do.

Back