Deposit 2 months before window installation?

JP_

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend recommended a local window company. They gave a good quote and said that they cannot fit me in until January. But they asked for a £600 deposit (30%) "to secure the installation date."

Is this normal? Should I be protected somehow? Credit card only maybe?

Their company number says registered since 2003, so I guess they won't be going anywhere, but you can never be too careful can you?

Sponsored Links
In legal terms a payment in advance binds a contract.

It can be any amount, £ 600 seems a bit steep when you are expected to wait another three months, I would have thought 10%/20% would be reasonable.

Should I be protected somehow? Credit card only maybe?
Paying by credit card is a very good idea as you will be protected if anything goes wrong. You do not have to pay the whole cost by card to be protected.

Presumably the manufacturer/installers offer a warranty. Make sure this is backed by an insurance policy and not just an "in house" warranty. You will then be covered if they go bankrupt or close down and set up under a different name.

Deposits when signing the contract with a window company is pretty standard.

I assume they are FENSA registered? If so their contract has been vetted so should be fair also as a Fensa company we have to have (and are checked) to have indemnity insurance for deposits so you can be sure it is safe.

Only thing that puzzled me was the 30%, Are you sure it wasn't 25%? I thought all insurance company's would only cover upto a 25% as mine do. I could be wrong though.

Sponsored Links
It is actually 33%

I asked my friend who had recommended them and he said that they make all windows to order so take a deposit to cover their costs.

They are FENSA and also mention BBA on their site. Looks like they fit Eurocell windows.

They are also a member of Insured Windows Guarantees Ltd. Although their website (iwgltd.com) seems to have been abandoned.

Like I say they may just be using an insurance company I havent found yet.

The windows and glass probably cost about 60-80% of the contract and unless they have a very nice supplier payment is usually on delivery which is normally a few weeks before an install starts, So taking a good deposit helps to pay for everything.

Eurocell is in my top 2 of window makes so your getting a good quality product and your using a recommend local company so just relax it sounds like your in good hands.

A friend recommended a local window company. They gave a good quote and said that they cannot fit me in until January. But they asked for a £600 deposit (30%) "to secure the installation date."

Is this normal? Should I be protected somehow? Credit card only maybe?

Their company number says registered since 2003, so I guess they won't be going anywhere, but you can never be too careful can you?

Woolworths, Comet, Leahman Bros., Blockbuster, JJb, MFI.

Just sayin' ;)

Sponsored Links
Back