Wet Room Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in North London and, while we do quite a bit of 'safe' DIY, we have decided that converting our shower room to a full wet room, including replacing the entry architrave and door, is beyond us.

We are finding it difficult to find a company to do the work, or even quote for it.

Googling doesn't seem to do us so well: Installation websites are using stock photos and claiming that they did the work, or they do not provide company details, or they are registered as dissolved on companies house. And DIYNot's local search cannot find a builder in North London.

Regardless of our issue, can I recommend that if you are a tradesperson with a website, that you include your company details and VAT registration number?

Also, adding reviews about yourself on review websites is really sad, unless you do it properly: At the very least, get someone else to write the text: Seeing the same typos on the website and on the review makes it pretty obvious that the review is fake.

Meanwhile, we would love any assistance about how to find a builder who actually has the experience, and can show it, and isn't bust, and can provide legitimate positive reviews.

It seems that wet rooms seem to have gone out of style at the moment, but it's something that we want. The existing shower room has most of the plumbing (including an underfloor waste pipe), but the installation was not waterproof, the vent needs replacing, and the entry door is not suitable for a shower at all - poorly hung and warped.

Sponsored Links
It’s very difficult getting skilled bathroom people at the moment. There seems to be a bit of a back log of work and frankly fitters will want to do the simple jobs given how much work there is out there.

I’m in a similar boat. Simply don’t have the time to renovate my bathroom, but I will end up DIYing it. At the moment even getting bathroom supplies seems hard.

We live in North London and, while we do quite a bit of 'safe' DIY, we have decided that converting our shower room to a full wet room, including replacing the entry architrave and door, is beyond us.

We are finding it difficult to find a company to do the work, or even quote for it.

Googling doesn't seem to do us so well: Installation websites are using stock photos and claiming that they did the work, or they do not provide company details, or they are registered as dissolved on companies house. And DIYNot's local search cannot find a builder in North London.

Regardless of our issue, can I recommend that if you are a tradesperson with a website, that you include your company details and VAT registration number?

Also, adding reviews about yourself on review websites is really sad, unless you do it properly: At the very least, get someone else to write the text: Seeing the same typos on the website and on the review makes it pretty obvious that the review is fake.

Meanwhile, we would love any assistance about how to find a builder who actually has the experience, and can show it, and isn't bust, and can provide legitimate positive reviews.

It seems that wet rooms seem to have gone out of style at the moment, but it's something that we want. The existing shower room has most of the plumbing (including an underfloor waste pipe), but the installation was not waterproof, the vent needs replacing, and the entry door is not suitable for a shower at all - poorly hung and warped.
visit some high end bathroom suppliers locally. They will have regular fitters working with them .......who will also be able to recommend.

You will be very stretched to find decent trades in London. They can tread their trail of destruction and still be inundated with work...... London is so big.

I won't take on no big work in London as what little extra I can earn ,the hassle is just not worth it.

Sponsored Links
It’s very difficult getting skilled bathroom people at the moment. There seems to be a bit of a back log of work and frankly fitters will want to do the simple jobs given how much work there is out there.

I’m in a similar boat. Simply don’t have the time to renovate my bathroom, but I will end up DIYing it. At the moment even getting bathroom supplies seems hard.
The bathroom fitters I had were knackered, they never had a day off since January. The backlog is just too much

The best bathroom fitters to get for your bathroom are the fitting teams who do bathroom work, & nothing but bathroom work, all the time.
But where do you get them esp in London, who knows?

FWIW: as a general warning, dont ever rely on these trade sites - believe none of it.

I'd say that a wet room is a seven out of ten risk of something going wrong.
Tanking of any kind is in itself a risk unless carefully supervised.

Back