The window minefield - what makes a good window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Anyone wknow what they are talking about regarding windows?

I have got 3 quotes to replace 4 window, and add two windows to an extension (sizes listed below). One I got from Safestyle who seemed like a decent company with a slightly pushy sales guy but a good product (from what I could tell?!). The second was from a local small independant manufacture (AstraFrame), I have been in and met the three guys in the small showroom and they all seem really down to earth friendly people, they only really sell the windows and dont install but they do have some approved installers they can recomend. The third is an installer who uses a local manufacturer and is my counsins fartherinlaw!

Safestyle are the most expensive at £3500 fitted
Astraframe are the sheapest at £1280 supply only
The other company is 1800 supply only

Now I cant see any real difference between these windows. They are all white PVC with welded frames with a decent number of pockets. They are all A rated with Pilkenton glass. Safestyle use a memory foam seal around closer and the others use rubber. They all have a similar 10 year guarantee.

How do I choose? I am leaning towards Astraframe as the house (bought it 8 months ago) had some Astraframes fitted in 2011 and all seem fine. Plus they are the cheepest and I can just go in and see them if there are any issues etc

Sizes are:

2500 x 1000
600x 1000
1800 x 1000
1200 x 700
1100 x 600
600 x 700

Thanks for any advice that can be given.

Sponsored Links
Safe style is a sh it product, called Duraflex and its the worst profile extrusion on the market, steer well clear of Duraflex and safe style

from their website Astraframe use Synseal profile

I think these are good profiles:
Kommerling
Deceuninck
Rehau

Im not in that market, but there are some pros on here that are -so maybe they will suggest some makes

they might even give you a feel for an install cost.

my advice would be to choose a local recommended company -maybe even a one man band.
The best window in the world can be made shyte by sloppy fitting
I feel with a one man band you will get somebody that cares about fitting and he will be both the one surveying and fitting.

Sponsored Links
from their website Astraframe use Synseal profile

I think these are good profiles:
Kommerling
Deceuninck
Rehau

Im not in that market, but there are some pros on here that are -so maybe they will suggest some makes

they might even give you a feel for an install cost.

my advice would be to choose a local recommended company -maybe even a one man band.
The best window in the world can be made shyte by sloppy fitting
I feel with a one man band you will get somebody that cares about fitting and he will be both the one surveying and fitting.

When you say profile do you mean the extrusion part? Anything wrong with Synseal?

Interesting... Can you say what makes Duraflex so bad?

It bends and flexes so easily you can grab the frame with your hand and easily move the frame, personally I don't like the bluey white, it gives a cold feeling, much prefer creamier warm whites, Duraflex use a gasket system called 'Q-Lon', a very forgiving and compliant gasket, however over time the plastic coating rips, tears and basically falls apart, as for being memory foam.....errr no, foam yes but not memory

Keep away from the big nationals, they'll have your pants down and don't give a toss about any complaints you may have in the future, agree with Notch go with a small local company, view their work if possible, ask if they have a facebook page, ask if their insurance guarantee covers everything for 10 years i.e. plastic, glass units, handles hinges and locks, ask how long workmanship is covered for, is it just for 1 year or 10 years

When you say profile do you mean the extrusion part? Anything wrong with Synseal?

Yes, in the trade circle the extrusion is called the profile.

Duraflex apart, I mean it really really is rubbish, most profiles are much of a muchness nowadays, all pretty good and something you'll hear on here a lot and on your window shopping journey is its all in the fitting, a middle of the road window fitted properly is far better than a top quality 'German' window thats been thrown in

Rehau
Kommerling
Deceuninck
Eurocell
Liniar
Synseal
Profile 22

all pretty good and I'd be happy to have any in my house, fitters also have a preference too, some profiles are more fitter friendly than others, doesn't mean they are poor its just a fitter get used to one system and prefers to stick with it if it doesn't give him any problems

Yes, in the trade circle the extrusion is called the profile.

Duraflex apart, I mean it really really is rubbish, most profiles are much of a muchness nowadays, all pretty good and something you'll hear on here a lot and on your window shopping journey is its all in the fitting, a middle of the road window fitted properly is far better than a top quality 'German' window thats been thrown in

Rehau
Kommerling
Deceuninck
Eurocell
Liniar
Synseal
Profile 22

all pretty good and I'd be happy to have any in my house, fitters also have a preference too, some profiles are more fitter friendly than others, doesn't mean they are poor its just a fitter get used to one system and prefers to stick with it if it doesn't give him any problems

Thanks for the great and detailed replys. Now what makes a good install? What do installers mainly get wrong?

Gone with AstraFrame - I like the company and cant see any issues with windows plus its under £1200. I will be fitting these myself though. :)

I fitted mine myself, I got them from a place called Keyframe. They were Rehau frames, pretty good and I enjoyed doing them.

Make sure you get plenty of spacers and decent long and short levels.

Check out quickslide windows for supply only. I have their sash windows and top notch with reinforced frames. Like has been mentioned if the window fitted wrong it doesn't matter how good it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back