Whistling windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have the same problem with mine , the seals are all intact inside and out , there is no sraft associated with the scream but it seems to be coming from the window frame itself. I called the window firm ( safestyle UK ) and was told even though the guarantee is for ten years and it has only been fitted 3 years ago as a new owner the guarantee is no longer in effect.
Apparently it is only for the person who had it installed whilst they live in the property !
So anyone thinking of new windows and then renting beware !
I found what looked like a crack where the unit meets ( diagonally at the outside corner), I stuck some tape over it and last night it didn't whistle , but son't know if that was cos there was not so much wind. Watch this space !

please note the forum rules. Your post has been split

Sponsored Links
whistling or reeding can occur when the silicone seal, at the frame-masonry join, splits and causes a high pitched whirring noise.

also, when a sill is fixed to the window proper, just before installation, it is wise to run a bead of silicon between sill and window. the lack of which can also cause whistling.

Yes I think you are right the tape seems to have stopped it and the problem i believe is the corner joint so I will get some silicone sealer from the shed and do the job properly, thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back