Whistling Annoyance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just moved into a new house where the Double Glazing was installed some 6 years ago but i do not know who installed it. When the wind whips down the street, it causes my windows to let out a shrill whistle. This is occurring in both of my windows in the bedroom , therefore causing an awful annoyance and lack of sleep. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening. Im guessing that its to do with the seals but they all look ok to me? If you apply pressure to the window it will temporarily stop...until you take the pressue off!! Doe it need a complete new re-installation of the windows?? :evil:

Sponsored Links
crealy said:
If you apply pressure to the window it will temporarily stop...until you take the pressue off!!
Where about on the window and is it on the frame or the glass unit ?

Well theres a good question - Ive applied pressure on both the window(just pushing the centre of the glass) and also around the frame which also seems to do the job. On one of the windows, it seems to stop if you open the top window up(which i did last night @4am!!!) Ive just been to B&Q to purchase some rubber draft excluder which Im thinking I will apply to the top window around the inside of the frame so as to see if its the top window not shutting correctly??? To be honest, im at a bit of a loss - its too coincidental for both windows to be whistling isnt it???

Before you do anything, double glazing normally comes with a 10 yrs warranty.

Can you trace back the last owner or the house deeds may help.

If you look carefully there should be a date stamped on the inside spacer bar between the 2 glass unit when the windows was made.

A photo would be helpful to see what type of window seal you have. Sounds like you have the wrong size seal which is well known.

Sponsored Links
my temporary solution[10 years ago] that i had forgot about

take some lightweight foam draught excluder[realy cheap thin one]
cut down the middle [you now have two sticky halves]
lift up rubber seal clean and stick behind push back
it will push it forward to close the gap and you should,nt
be able to see the foam
you may also have to lighly lubricate the seal on the hinge edge
if it grips to much

big all

Thanks for your replies so far guys. Im prob being totally thick here:
Ive checked the unit for a date stamp but couldnt find one. The seller of the property has moved abroad so not able to get in contact to find out who installed it.....nightmare!
When it comes to fitting the draught excluder(and this is where im being thick!!) , am i pushing back the rubber seal that comes out of the frame on the inside and pushes against the sealed glass unit? The reason i ask is because the rubber seal isnt that wide. My next question would be Do I have to take out the plastic beading and insert under the seal that way, then reinsert the plastic beading on top??
I apologise for my lack of brain but I have little or no knowledge of double glazing. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back