whistling noise through windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i have moved to a new house the windows were replaced in 2002..there is a terrible whistling noise everytime it is windy..it comes through the front door and both bedroom windows...we cannot sleep in the rooms when it is windy...my husband thinks that it is normal..i think there is a fault with the windows...can any one help i know who put the windows in but i dont want them just to say it is normal i would like to get some information before i contacted them..can anyone help me please

Sponsored Links
it is likely that the silicone seals, down each side at the window-to-brick join, is split. this can cause 'reeding' and make a right racket.

other causes are the lack of silicone sealant prior to any knock-ons being fitted or sills attached. the wind can whistle through these joins too, but causes a more subdued whistle.

I had the same problem after having double glazing fitted a few years ago, and that was due to inadequate sealing around the frame.
However, in my present house I have just dealt with a similar problem; ingress of cold air, caused by the fact that the inner sill and beading surrounds were stuck on over the cavity without sealing it off. Filling the gaps with expanding foam has cured it.
Never assume that paying good money will mean you get a good job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back