Noisy windows help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
wondering if anyone can help.
I had pvc windows fitted & everytime its a windy I can hear a noise. When its very windy its very noisy its like a mouth organ sound.
I contacted the people that fitted the windows & they have checked the windows & don't see to know whats causing it. They say that they need to be there to hear the noise but every time they come round its not windy & when it is they tell me they can't come round short notice. They have just come round & replaced the sash but that hasn't changed anything and I can still hear the noise.

Has anyone got any advice?

Sponsored Links
The noise is the wind and it is either coming from the perimeter of the frame due to a bad sealant job or , more commonly, the trickle vent (if it has one). There are other brands of vents available which baffle the wind better than others and to be honest it sounds like the window firm is trying to brush this off because they would know straight away what the noise is.

The noise is the wind and it is either coming from the perimeter of the frame due to a bad sealant job or , more commonly, the trickle vent (if it has one). There are other brands of vents available which baffle the wind better than others and to be honest it sounds like the window firm is trying to brush this off because they would know straight away what the noise is.

Thanks for your reply.
When it was making the noise i opened the window a couple of inches and the noise stopped.
Would that mean then its not the trickle vent its a bad sealant job?
Thanks,

Not entirely as when you opened the window the wind had a larger gap to come through and so was not forced through either the perimeter frame or the vent. It is like blowing through any restricted space, say across an empty bottle or through an instrument, it will make a noise and as you opened the window it had a relatively unrestricted space to enter so the noise stopped. You would be wise to inspect the silicone and if it is all fully intact then you can safely say it is the vent. You should then insist the window company act on it if it is their responsibility under the terms of any warranty. Dependant on the style of vent it may be possible to simply fit the external part upside down so the gap is facing up at your soffits. That will possibly help reduce the full rush of wind that may be contributing to the problem. The downside to this is that you may only be able to do this on the upstairs windows and then only if your overhanging soffit gives enough shelter from rain getting in.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

thanks so much for your advice.

The window man came today as it was very windy and it was the silicone.

Thanks again :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back