Wind noise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had UPVC replacement windows fitted 12months ago and recently because it’s windy there is a what can only be described as a “flute” noise coming from our bedroom window when the wind gusts. I’ve read elsewhere this could be a sealant issue? Any advice is appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Had it myself turned out to be a tiny crack in the mastic around the top of the window, resealed and now fine.

Cheers footprints. Hope mine is just as simple coz it’s driving me up the wall!

Its when the silicone has been fingered and pushed into the small gaps and its turned wafer thin and now dried, any gaps in the outer silicone or even wind blowing through the cavity vibrates the wafer thin silicone like a reed hence the noise, you can sometime generate the noise by opening and closing the door sharply, the pressure increase and vacuum will cause the same

Sponsored Links
So will the damage to the silicone definitely be on the outside coz I plan to have a look tomorrow? Also, if I find any damage do I remove it and replace or silicone over?

Outside most likely but check inside too, the draught from a cavity wall can bypass the outer seal.

So will the damage to the silicone definitely be on the outside coz I plan to have a look tomorrow? Also, if I find any damage do I remove it and replace or silicone over?

It's the internal silicone that's vibrating but it's the wind/air flow that's causing it, check outside for any shrunken silicone and pull off and redo certainly but you could still get wind through air bricks. If you have plastic trims internally it'll be more the silicone applied between the frame and trims rather than window to plaster/wallpaper

Ok thanks for all your advice. I’ve inspected the inside trim that had a bit of movement on it. I’ve removed the silicone and re sealed it. That’s stopped 80% of the noise but I think the remainder of the noise is coming from where the window closes onto the foam seal on the hinge side of the opening. Can I adjust this? Or replace?
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back